Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minimum weight before shipping method available?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minimum weight before shipping method available?

I'm wanting to set up the shipping for our software products so that if the user buys a physical box they get charged for shipping, but if they buy electronic delivery they don't. I've set the weight of a physical box to be 0.9 kg, and electronic download has no weight. The shipping bands I have set up are (for the UK) "Electronic delivery" and "UK Next day". Electronic delivery is set to have a maximum weight of 0.01 kg and no excess, and if you select a physical product it is removed okay.

But if I select an electronic download with no weight, I am still offered both electronic and carrier shipment. This wouldn't be too much problem except that we have multiple rates for other parts of the world, so we have the ordering set to be the most expensive first. Thus buying electronic delivery means you can get a 30 GBP delivery charge added by default (though of course you can change it).

My ideal would be to be able to specify that a delivery band only started at a specified weight too. Is this possible in v6 or v7?

Incidentally, I can't set the default weight to be zero which is a pain.
    Matthew

My only suggestion is to order your shipping methods alphabetically, and then use names that ensure that the free shipping always comes first (if it's there), and the other shipping classes come after it in descending order of cost.
    Incidentally, I can't set the default weight to be zero which is a pain.
    Yes, this is a known problem. One way around it is to edit the 'Products' table in the 'ActinicCatalog.mdb' database directly and change all the 'ShippingOpaqueData' fields to '0'. Make sure you take a backup of the database before trying this.

Comment

Thanks, if no thanks.

I'll think about our options.
      Matthew

Comment

Working...
      X