Shipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipping

How do i set the 'free over' for one zone and not all of them, e.g I wish to give free shipping 'over £50' for UK mainland only not Northern Ireland and scotish highlands etc.
    Basnett

This is not possible I'm afraid. I will add it to the wish list for you.

Comment

thank you
      Basnett

Comment

Hi,

I have exactly the same requirement as the original poster, can you tell me whether this been resolved in version 8?

Thanks

Comment

Not yet John. Though we are hoping to bring out some shipping enhancements during v8's lifetime that should address some of the regular limitations with shipping calculation (such as this problem).

Comment

I might have the answer to this for version 8 at least. I’m doing this from a UK only perspective but the principle is easily applied to other areas.

The solution allows you to have different shipping costs for each UK area as well as providing a “free over value” function for one or more areas.

Sorting out the correct Zones:

It all hinges on getting the UK provinces/states setup correctly as the default supplied country (UK) doesn’t list these areas – unlike the US states which are listed.

Essentially you need to go into Settings|location and use the states/provinces section to add extra locations to the UK. i.e. Northern Ireland, Channel Isles, Scottish Isles, England & Wales.

The problem I kept getting was that this change wasn’t reflected anywhere. So for instance, the shipping zone I had for UK only had UK and not UK with all the subset locations. This problem affects three key areas: shipping, tax, and payment and security options. This was resolved when I came across in the following post:

http://community.actinic.com/showthr...mbering+county

Bruce supplies the following response which is critical, you’ll need to read the whole post to get a better idea how this works:

“Well found it. You will need to go into Business Settings | Shipping & Handling .. under 'Shipping bands', right click on 'UK' and select 'Properties'. In the Members area highlight the UK and move it back to the list and reselect and move over to the members area so that the additions in Advanced | Locations reflects on the shipping too. Now you will have to go into Tax and highlight the 'UK tax zone', click on edit zone and repeat the move over so that it now shows you, UK and the counties below it. Update the site and retry, teh cookie now does not loose the information…”

The same thing has to be done with Payment and Security if you want to restrict delivery to these areas. I found that until I did this I didn’t get the new set of areas to select in the delivery location drop down box in the checkout (more on this later).

Sorting out Free Delivery Over value:

You can’t use the free over option in Business settings|Shipping as this is a global value that gives free shipping no matter what of the value if over the amount specified. It overrides all zones so you can’t use it.

Here’s what to do. Select value based shipping and then create a “zone” for each UK area. It’s easier to setup a new zone as this then takes you to the option to assign the member area to that zone. Alternatively right click the zone and select properties to check the areas assigned.

The key thing is to ensure you find the UK country with a + sign showing all the new zones you created. You need to make sure that you only pull over the state/provinces for the zone you are creating. So if you have created a shipping zone of Northern Ireland then select this (not the whole UK) and move to the member area space. Do the same for each other shipping zone. This is the same approach you need to do for setting Tax as exempt for the channel islands but not the other UK zones.

Now for each zone create a class that covers the shipping cost you want to apply to that zone. If, for instance, you just allow free delivery in the UK mainland then create an additional class for that zone as “free delivery”.

So for the UK mainland Zone you now have two classes (standard and free delivery). In the standard class set the value to whatever your free threshold is, say £50 and set the cost to your delivery charge for everything below £50. The free delivery class I set the value to £9,999 and the cost to £0. This means that anything shipped to UK mainland will be at standard rate and anything over £50 will be free. Setup each zone the same.

Setting up the correct Tax Zones:

In Business Settings|Tax you need to go to advanced. If you’re only doing the UK then delete the EU zone. Edit the UK zone and make sure you find the UK country with the + showing the states. Select each state (except the channel Islands) and assign it over to the member area. Then close.

Next edit the no tax levied zone and select the Channel Isles from UK+ country and assign it to the member area.

Setting up Payments and Security:

To limit the locations to the UK tick the limit locations box and then configure. You should find the UK+ zones here. All you need to do is select the whole UK into the member area. This ensures your delivery location drop down box has these areas only listed.

The Checkout Pages:

If you take a look at checkout page 0 in the design tab you should see both invoice country and Delivery country set to UK as fixed entries (no drop down box available). On the right of this you should see a drop down box for state/province for both invoice and delivery locations. If you want to test these you should see only the UK zones listed.

Now, if you pick an invoice state/province but leave the delivery one unchanged it takes you to the next page and shows the county/state/province correctly as selected and sets the country to UK as expected – great. That’s fine on the first time around. What if you got it wrong?

It also displays the change box as expected so if you click on the change box and try to change the location for invoice to a different state/province it goes to the next screen and hasn’t changed it at all, strangely. I found that the only way to now change the county/state/province is to change the county/state/province in the delivery location drop down. Infact, if you were to remove the invoice drop down selector from the screen and tidy things up a bit it all works perfectly. However, I’m not currently invoicing and delivering to different addresses so how you approach this is up to you. Just bare this issue in mind.

I’m new to this so Actinic Developers – please jump in if I’ve got any of this wrong.

Thanks

Comment

Correction to Sorting out Free Delivery Over value:

So for the UK mainland Zone you now have two classes (standard and free delivery). In the standard class set the value to whatever your free threshold is, say £50 and set the cost to your delivery charge for everything below £50. The free delivery class I set the value to £9,999 and the cost to £0. This means that anything shipped to UK mainland will be at standard rate and anything over £50 will be free. Setup each zone the same.
              I should have said that for each zone you need to create a single class with two rows. One for free delivery and one for the standard rate you want to apply. Otherwise you end up getting both free £0 postage and £your rate provided as a drop down selection to the customer .

So the correct approach is:

In this new class for the zone you wish to apply a free level and a level applicable to that zone within the UK create two entries by using the + sign. For one row entry set the value to whatever your top free threshold is, say £50 (remember this is excl. vat) and set the cost to your delivery charge for everything below £50. Then the next row, the free delivery entry, set the value to £9,999, say, and the cost to £0.

Now the customer will be presented with a fixed value (i.e. no drop down selection box) with either £0 or £your rate based on the order value and the UK zone.

Additional - Premium shipping as an extra option:

If you want to add a premium service to that zone such as Saturday delivery, just add a new class to that zone called Saturday delivery and set the value to £9999 and cost to £Saturday rate. Now the customer gets the following:

Order value below £50:-

Drop down shipping selection of either £your rate or £Saturday delivery

Order value above £50:-

Drop down shipping selection of either £0 or £Saturday delivery

Comment

Working...
              X