Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recovering A Site...

Hi,

Recently the laptop on which my copy of developer is installed died. Windows refused to load due to corrupt files, and so I replaced the hard disk and reinstalled. The old hard disk is now mounted in an external case (£4.99 off ebay!) and I have access to all of the files on the disk (it appears that the corrupt files were fairly localised within the windows system directories).

Having looked through the hard disk, the last full site export was a few days before the laptop died, and so there were changes made to the site which are not included in the site export. I tried copying the site directory into the Actinic "sites\" folder, but Actinic (unsurprisingly) fails to recognise this. Is there any way I can restore the site fully without using the out of date backup?

Regards,

Chris Poulter,
    Herne Studios.

P.S.

An additional issue is that the site was currently running on a 6.1.2 Actinic Developer, and I have now installed 6.1.4 (fresh).

I tried copying the site directory into the Actinic "sites\" folder, but Actinic (unsurprisingly) fails to recognise this.

Thats unusual as I have done this many times. Did you name the site folders the same.

You should be able to just copy the entire site folder to the new install.

The Site Upgrader will run when you reopen Actinic.
    Owner of a broken heart

Comment

Hi,

The easiest way to do this is to license the site first. Then close the software and delete the contents of the new site folder. Then copy the contents only from the old site folder into the new site folder. This ensures that no mistakes are made in the names of the folders it is looking in and also the registry entries.

One thing to note is that the encryption key is not carried over this way so you should do a refresh of the site once it is installed so that the credit card details come down with the orders (if you usually download the cc details). If you have a copy of the encryption key somewhere safe, you can just copy it into the 'Housekeeping | Security' menu.

I hope this helps.
      Tracey
      SellerDeck

Comment

Hi,

Tracey's solution of licencing a new site and then replacing the directory worked - I've now got the up to date site running (with a few hundred customer accounts that I'd have had to have input again otherswise!). Thanks for the help!

Regards,

Chris.

Comment

Working...
        X