Uploading (ASCII/Binary)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uploading (ASCII/Binary)

Hi, my client is, as ever, having problems with his site, the error is "Internal Server Error
    The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@legend.co.uk and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
    ". The site was previously working until recently and i'm not sure whether to blame the ISP or something my client has done.

The ISP claim the following "A binary file will become corrupted if
    transferred as ASCII, but an ASCII file will remain intact if passed as
    binary.

Binary files use all eight bits in a byte, whereas true ASCII only uses
    the last seven. ASCII FTP transfers deliberately strip the first bit to
    save time when transferring a file.

The problem is that the customer is uploading files with DOS (Carriage
    Return & Line Feed) line endings. He needs to convert them to Unix line
    endings (Line Feed only). Wordpad, for example, has options of saving a
    file as "Text Document" or "Text Document - MS-DOS format", among
    others. The former would be what the customer should use."

They have said before that the files were getting uploaded in binary, have have not seen this as a setitng anywhere in Actinic, is this something set on the uploading machine?
    Thanks for any help
    Dan

I had this problem once when my ISP had upgraded the FTP server and enabled some new security option to prevent a possible DoS attack. They'd disabled text mode as a result, and that meant my shop failed. Enabling it made it work again.
    Matthew

Comment

but an ASCII file will remain intact if passed as BINARY
      This is not actually true with regards to Perl scripts. They need to allow ASCII uploads in order for the Perl files to go up successfully to to the web.

If you are uploading to a Redhat Linux server, check out THIS knowledge base article.

Comment

Working...
      X