Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Units of Sale

Hi

I'm trying to find out if it's possible to have different units of sale within a store.

At the moment the store lists all prices as 'per item' and this is fine for the most part, however some of the products are sold in pairs (door knobs) and whilst the description says that they are sold as a pair I want to remove any possibility of the customer thinking that the price, (per item), means that as the product is only available as a pair they will be charged twice - does that make sense?

Anyway, do any of you learned folk out there know if it is possible to have some products priced as 'per item' and others as 'per pair' ?

The product range concerned is listed here Click to View

Many Thanks

Peter

Why not say

Price: £17.50 (1 pair)
    Price: £15.75 (2 to 3 pairs)

etc.
    Owner of a broken heart

Comment

That's just what I'm trying to do.

Where in Actinic do I set up the units of sale so that those pages that need to be are generated with 'per pair' and others are generated with 'per item'?

Thanks

Peter

Comment

On the page you mention you need to edit the product description from inside Actinic.

I am assuming that 1 Item = 1 Pair
        Owner of a broken heart

Comment

That's correct Gary,

I have found how to change the text from within Actinic, what I wanted to know was if it were possible to have different units of sale for different products.

ie Door Knobs wouls be sold in pairs whilst cabinet knobs would be sold as per item.

It's only on those products with quantity breaks that this text is required and at the moment only one range has quantity breaks so it's not a problem, it will be however when other ranges are added.

I have changed the text within Actinic to read as 'sets' rather than items and am using the customer message field to emphasize that the product is sold in pairs.

Looking at the way Actinic fills in this info I am beginning to doubt if what I want is possible, unless I create a different template set for the different units of sale and put in the 'pairs' or 'items' separately.

Any suggestions welcome

Peter

Comment

I would just create a unique product template for each item type that has the correct text hard coded just after the price.

i.e. look for where it says NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTPRICE in the product template you want to alter and put the text ' per pair' or whatever straight after it.

Then save it with a unique name and use it for those products that need a 'per pair' description.

The Advanced User Guide tells you how to add the modified template to the drop down list of layout options. It's not too difficult to do and will make your life much easier when it comes to selecting the right template for your products.

Mike
            -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Thanks for that Mike,

It's what I thought would be required.

Regards

Comment

I'd still keep the "Pair off.." bit of text in the product description as that's what's shown in the Shopping Cart and Checkout - you don't want your customers confused when they're checking out.

Norman
                Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

I should mention that it could also be done with a customvar. i.e. instead of hard coding the text into the template, place a CUSTOMVAR:ITEMTYPE into the same place. Then you could select the 'ITEMTYPE' customervar (or whatever you want to name it) in the 'properties' section of the product details and insert the text there.

Mike

Comment

Thanks for those bits, Norman & Mike

Certainly the customvar method would be far more sensible - I'll have to do some reading up on how to apply them - than having dfiierent sets of templates for the different units of sale, plus as you point out Norman there is the issue with the cart.

One question from this, will a customvar be carried through into the checkout? Will it need specifying in the checkout templates?

Thanks

Peter

Comment

No, it won't get carried through to the cart, checkout or or receipt.

When I need to do this I create a master product with an appropriate name/title ("comfort walking socks - Pack of 3 pairs" for example) and then use that as a component of the product the customer orders.

You can set up actinic to use the component name and that way it gets carried right through the ordering process.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X