FTP error on test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FTP error on test

hi, im using version 5 of actinic and ahve just started getting the following error when trying to upload

An error occured while checking the FTP transfer mode -- 500 ?
    Try using the other mode.

-ive been into network setup and tried using passive FTP and ignore passive errors then tried the test and i get the same error message
    -i cant run the full web config as i cant get access to the FTP, i get the same error

i can however login to my site fine using a standard FTP client

im flumexed...any ideas greatly appreciated

thanks

Phil

Have you tried using the Wizard (Web | Configure Website Details), which will allow you to go through the connection, bit by bit, which sometimes overcomes glitches like this even when all of the settings are correct in the network setup dialogs... Also, not sure if this is the first time upload, but are the acatalog and cgi-bin folders been created already...

Comment

hi there

yes ive tried using the config wizard and i get the same error at the ftp setup stage

"An error occured while checking the FTP transfer mode -- 500 ?"

i have been using the software for around 6 months with no problems...it has only just started happening this last week..

not sure what else to try

thanks
      Phil

Comment

I would check with your web host to see if anything has changed on your server.

If that fails, register an email support query at http://www.actinic.co.uk/support/register.htm and the team there will be able to take a look.

Comment

Firewalls

Are you using a firewall?

I have been uploading merrily until this morning when disaster struck. Nothing would work - but I could connect via ftp manually.

Eventually it transpired that Norton had created a new rule to block Actinic from any outside access. I have amended the firewall rules and all is now fine.

I am completely unaware of having created the new rule - but I believe I must have clicked a popup inadvertently.

Hope this helps.

N
          Niall
          www.highlandclans.co.uk

Comment

Working...
          X