HSBC card authorisation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HSBC card authorisation

We have just started using HSBC secure e-commerce for card verification from Actinic.

All works well (of course)... except...

When a customer's card fails verification, the HSBC server doesn't itself inform the customer, but returns the customer back to our site.... into Actinic, with a really uninformative error message and an error code. Actinic displays that error message in the browser.

The confusing part for the customer, is that the message doesn't really tell them (in simple words of one syllable) what went wrong. The click to continue drops the customer back to the order confirmation page... where they try again..... and so on. Eventually after a few attempts, they just give up. (After 3 abortive attempts, HSBC just blocks their IP address for 24 hours too - and counts the attempt as possible fraudulent).

When downloading the orders, we see them in the "Payment pending", with all their details. And at least we can phone them.

However.... is there any way of having Actinic show them a screen to say *what they did wrong* ? - something that interprets the error into real language that the customers (bless them) can understand.

Errors can be caused by simple things, such as:
    a. no space in a post code
    b. incorrect entry of the name (not as it appears on their card statement)
    c. address not matching their card statement
    (it appears that even capitalisation is important, and the verification
    check appears to be somewhat over-sensitive)
    d. authorisation declined

I have covered all those things by adding bold text on the name & address entry screen... but hey... customers don't read ;-)

Cheers
    Rod
    Old and rare books on CD for Historians and Genealogists

Hi Rod,

Can I have your Website URL, so that I can replicate this issue to get the complete error message?

Cheers,
    Cheers,
    Suresh Babu G

Comment

I have had this out with HSBC too, customers are given uninformative messages when there are errors. However, I am informed this is on the Actinic side, and new error messages are being written that actually tell the customer the problem, and direct them to the merchant.

I did ask to see the error messages but was told i could not untill they were signed off. I have chased but got no reply. Perhaps Actinic can confirm the messages now.

THanks

Steven

Comment

A fix to change the 'Fraudshield' message into something more user-friendly has been developed and is currently being tested. It will be released shortly.

Comment

Hsbc Error Rate

We use HSBC and I think that it is fair to say that we have problems with over 50% of our orders.

This is often caused by:

Different Delivery Address to card address.
          Punctuation problems - ie Full stops between initials.

This is extremely frustrating for us and even more so for customers.

Is there anything we can do about this?
          Niall
          www.highlandclans.co.uk

Comment

Give them the boot

I have been with these idiots HSBC since Jan and I must have lost out on abot £10,000.00 of orders they alwas blame Actinic. It is their fault.
            I am goning to find some one else.
            Does anyone have any recomendations

Comment

Hsbc

All the above posts seem to be happening to many of us using HSBC e-secure payment method.From the chats i have had with both HSBC and Actinic it appears that there are a few issues that are causing these problems with both parties.I agree when the 'Fraudshield' message appears it is not helpful and we often get unhappy customers calling us saying what does this mean ? Have I committed fraud ? It's very confusing to the customer so i hope this can be resolved fairly soon. Now with the issues with punctuation,spaces within customers details surely this is with HSBC issue I would of thought. If you try another Actinic site through another payment provider it is so much quicker but at what cost because i know once the payment has been authorised by HSBC the responsibility then passes 100% to HSBC if there are any fraudulent issues that evolve. After all this and the amount of errors we get with HSBC we have not had one single fraudulent transaction which is a lot better than our previous payment provider.If the above issues could be sorted out we would all be laughing as HSBC customers !
              John Heap
              Knighton Tool Supplies-Leicester
              www.knighton-tools.co.uk
              Litter Pickers-Power Tools-Safety Footwear-Engineering Products

Comment

HSBC and punctuation

Hi all,

We have been recently experiencing a high number of dropout orders due to problems with punctuation. HSBC have been fairly unhelpful so far, they have suggested that I filter the address or add a note to the checkout pages (unfortunately, I don't know how to do this properly!).

What can be done? At present I am emailing the customers and suggesting they try again minus a few '.''s here and there, but I would prefer not to have the problem at all!!

Help!

Cheers
                Abi

Comment

Hi there, 2 be honest we had so many issues with the issues you have we moved to Protx, HSBC still acquire as they are our companies bank but i feel their system is to 'picky'

Good luck!
                  John Heap
                  www.knighton-tools.co.uk

Comment

HSBC Epayment

I am still using HSBC - simply as we have not had time to move.

Their epayment system is next to useless for the reasons given by earlier postings and because it is impossible to download the transaction history. This is essential for bank reconciliation. If you put through 100 transactions that will appear on your bank statement as one visa, one maestro etc consolidation. To drill down you have to go to the HSBC epayment site and see what that transaction entailed. Now this information is only available for a few months. You cannot download it..

I am seriously considering Protx as I understand that it is easy to extract this information. Anyone any experience of this?
                    Niall
                    www.highlandclans.co.uk

Comment

Hi there,

We find PROTX very easy to integrate within Actinic. there's no doubt its not as secure as some other providers such as HSBC but you do learn the things to look out for. Touch wood we havent been caught out with any fraudulent orders in over 12 months( we take 100 plus orders a day online) I would reccomend Protx defiantely, plus they are cheap!

Regards

John Heap- Director Knighton Tool Supplies
                      John Heap
                      www.knighton-tools.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by knighton620
                        no doubt its not as secure
                        Now what is that scurrilous statement based on? Are you saying you consider the anti-fraud checking less stringent?

I have 3D Secure and four levels of Detail checking enabled. Protx is still vulnerable to someone who has stolen ALL the correct details, but surely so is every other PSP in the land.

I endorse the recommendation of Protx, with no reservations.
                        Bill
                        www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
                        Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
                        BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
                        Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
                        VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
                        Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Protx is still vulnerable to someone who has stolen ALL the correct details, but surely so is every other PSP in the land.
                          As you say bill they all are just as vunerable even HSBC

Comment

Working...
                          X