Firewall software causing Referrer problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firewall software causing Referrer problem

Any advice or help with the following would be greatly appreciated.

A partner website is about to add my site to theirs on a commission on sales basis. For the past couple of months we have been using the Actinic catalog (6.1.4) referrer script with other sites quite successfully.

However, this new site is saying that the referrer script is refusing to work with anti virus/firewall software. I have to admit to being a bit out of my depth on this one.

Has anyone who uses the referrer script come across problems caused with firewall software ?

If so is there a work around ?

If not is this problem only likely to affect a few potential customers. ?

Does anyone know of any specific compatibility problems ?

Sorry for asking several rambling questions. But any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Ian

Hi Ian

Can I have the website URL along with the link which is using the Referrer script ?

Cheers
    Krithika Chandrasekar
    SellerDeck

sigpic

E-commerce software by SellerDeck

Comment

Hi Krithika,

It is on the site http://www.primelocation.com/uk-property-for-sale/ If you look to the right of the page ,there is a square red and white Bigbrownbox advert. They seem to think the problem is caused by Norton firewall software.

Many thanks

Ian

Comment

They don't seem to be running your link anymore, but the other links go through their redirect script and redirects to simple URL's (no referrer script). I will bet that their script is corrupting the URL to your script (perhaps too long). I would not think that firewall software is the problem. But without being able to test at the moment, I cannot be sure. The other links work and I am using Norton.
        Bob Ladden

Comment

Hi Ian

I checked the link and it is working fine for me, despite Firewall being on. It led me to http://bigbrownbox.co.uk/

Has any one else with Norton's Firewall come across the same problem as Bob ?

Can you check the following referred link :

Regards
          Krithika Chandrasekar
          SellerDeck

sigpic

E-commerce software by SellerDeck

Comment

With Norton enabled I do not see the ads on the right at all. With it disabled, I see them and the link to bigbrownbox worked ok. If I disable Norton to see the ads, and then enable Norton before clicking anything, the link still worked ok.
            Bob Ladden

Comment

You can do the same thing with IE alone. Go to the site then just slide the security setting under internet options up to 'high' and all the ads on the RHS will disappear when you do a refresh.

It's probably because the ads are server by a different server and therefor they're being blocked under high security settings.

Mike
              -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
              X