Creating a 'back' button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating a 'back' button

I have an information page that I want to link to from two different pages (on a brochure page, the other a catalog page). I want to add a 'back' button at the end of the page which will link the user back to the originating page - how do I do that?

(at the moment only one page links to it, and the back button has the originating link hardcoded)
    John

use

Code:
    javascript:history.go(-1)
    this will take the user back one page

Comment

Note that the Javascript: protocol link won't always work. IMHO it's better to have no link than an unreliable one. Chances are your users already have multiple back-button behaviours available to them (I've got three that I know about: The browser toolbar button, mouse button 4, and an RMB drag-left "gesture") and if they're shopping online they probably know how to use at least one of them.

Comment

or I suppose I could just duplicate the page and have a different link back on each one...
        John

Comment

Or you could just stop worrying about it and assume your users will know what to do. I imagine there are other links on the page, and a history in the browser; they're not going to get hopelessly lost here.

I suggest you apply your time to something more constructive like baking a delicious cake or teaching your dog to play frisbee. Personally, I'd go with the frisbee because my oven's a bit rubbish, but unfortunately I don't have a dog, which is probably why I'm still here responding to threads that are already satisfactorily concluded...

Comment

Working...
          X