Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

customvar's in version 4

Hello all,
    I'm rather new to actinic, so please forgive me if I'm asking the obvious.
    In version 6, I can add CUSTOMVAR's to the page titles and alt tags in order to place extra text/keywords to the page titles and alt tags. This seems to work well, the customvar's 'cascade' down through the sections & products, and can be overwritten at any level.
    However, in version 4, this doesn't seem to work at all. The closest I've got is adding customvar's to the section name
    ( title="customvar:extraalttext netquotevar:sectionname") .

Is it possible to use customvar's in version 4 in the same way that i've achieved in version 6? How does the customvar in v4 differ from v6?

Hope this makes sense, if not, simply reply "what?"

thanks, dave

Hi David

Please tell me what steps you used to create the customvar's and also if you can please insert the code. So that I can replicate the issue and work out an answer for you.
    Kiran Chandran
    Technical Support - SellerDeck
    http://www.sellerdeck.co.uk/

Further help can also be found at http://community.sellerdeck.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27

Comment

Unfortunately in version 4 the custom properties only work in the product and section templates.
      "OK Venus?"
      "OK Steve!"
      "Right then, lets go!

Comment

Originally posted by Kiran
        Hi David

Please tell me what steps you used to create the customvar's and also if you can please insert the code. So that I can replicate the issue and work out an answer for you.
        hi Kiren, Sorry this reply has taken so long. Basicaly, all I did was add to the title (in the html);
        <title>CUSTOMVAR:FIRSTTITLE NETQUOTEVAR:PAGEHEADER NETQUOTEVAR:PAGETITLE CUSTOMVAR:LASTTITLE</title>

like that, it works in the later versions but doesn't seem to work in the older versions (as steve zodiac pointed out). I suppose the obvious solution is to sell them a newer version of actinic, but if there's a way around it, it would be handy to know.

thanks all the same

Comment

I don't think there is a way around it in v4.

The ability to define a custom property which is available to every template only came in v5.

Comment

ohh sorry missed a reply higher and have repeated:

you can get the section name into the title by putting
            <TITLE>
            NETQUOTEVAR:PAGETITLE NETQUOTEVAR:PAGEHEADER
            </TITLE>
            where pageheader is the section name

I have been trying to do the same.. Problem is client wants too many words for section name..

Any advances on this?
            Jenny
            Hanson Web Design
            www.hansonwebdesign.co.uk
            jenny@hansonwebdesign.co.uk
            Actinic hosting, Actinic Software, template design and re-design

Comment

Jenny

All you can do is get your customer to upgrade.

Comment

I love that one! Apparently they are redesigning in the new year. They have been manually editing the title on every change. I am a sub contractor on this one, so don't have much control.
                Jenny
                Hanson Web Design
                www.hansonwebdesign.co.uk
                jenny@hansonwebdesign.co.uk
                Actinic hosting, Actinic Software, template design and re-design

Comment

Working...
                X