Mail (SMTP) Server:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mail (SMTP) Server:

Has anyone got a workaround for the Mail (SMTP) server: in your network setup if your hosting company does not support SMTP mail on their server?

Yes. I've got a hack that uses the Perl Mail::Mailer module to use the Sendmail (or whatever other e-mail sender) the server has.

Ask your ISP if there Perl supports Mail::Mailer.

Attached is the patching instructions.

It doesn't properly support HTML mail sending (it just sends the html after the plain text message) but I don't think Actinic sends HTML messages anyway.

Norman
    Attached Files
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

P.S. I forgot to say that this patch won't pass the Advanced / Network Setup / Test routine. The test routine is a separate program and I've not bothered patching that.

What you need to do is blank out the SMTP server in Advanced / Network Settings in order to do the network test and then put in a dummy entry (e.g. "dummy") for the SMTP server so that Actinic will attempt to send e-mails.
      Alternatively you can leave dummy as your SMTP server and ignore the e-mail server not found error message on testing.

Norman
      Norman - www.drillpine.biz
      Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Hiya,

I work for a hosting provider and our official line is that we don't provide smtp.

However, using "localhost" as your smtp server works on our servers which are unix based. I should imagine that would work on most unix servers. (not sure about windoze servers tho!)

Hope thats some help for you.

Andy

Comment

Working...
        X