Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

finding path to cgi-bin after changing root folder

Hi,
    I am tryign to make my catalog page the index page for the web site. After looking through the forums it seems that actinic advised to make the /acatalog folder the root folder, so my ISP did this for me. The problem is now what do I do to get the network settings to work correctly as it is giving the Unable to move to CGI-bin error. I read that someone went in and made changes to the access file, is this advised and if yes can I use the network settings again? Can I update the site etc.?

Thanks,
    Breda

All that the host should need to do is alias the acatalog folder to the root folder and then ensure that follow symlinks is allowed in your domains httpd file.

If you already have the site operational, then generally it means deleting the cgi-bin content to ensure that the scripts get updated and obviously as the acatalog folder should no longer 'physically' exist, just aliased as if it exists, that should be deleted and then when you upload the software still thinks it is uploading to a real acatalog folder, when in effect it is being sent to the root /documents folder.

Comment

changing root folder

Thanks,
      I am checking with my ISP, at the moment I can't see the cgi bin so it must be hidden. I am worried that if I delete the acatalog fodler that the domain name won't resolve correctly.
      Regards,
      Breda

Comment

No further on

Hi,
        I still have not solved this problem with setting the acatalog folder as the root folder. I know many people have done this sucessfully so hopefully you can help me. My ISP said the following:
        "This site is hosted on an NT server and does not use symlinks or httpd files, its all controlled by IIS. I have tried various methods to "spoof" the cgi-bin folder but none have worked. As this is a none standard Actinic setup I can only advise you to go back to Actinic and ask them for the correct method of setting up the cgi-bin in the current configuration."

Support at Actinic just sent the standard server set up for IIS.
        Can anyone help as I want to put the site live?
        Many thanks
        Breda

Comment

Rather than mess around with your server settings, here is a different approach I would like you to try.

Although the Actinic user interface always insists on uploading to the 'acatalog' directory, it is possible to change the database directly to make it upload to an alternative folder - including the root.

You have to be a bit careful here - I strongly recommend you export your site as a snapshot before attempting this...

1) Open 'ActinicCatalog.mdb' in your 'Site1' folder in MS Access.

2) Go into the 'Setup2' table.

3) Click in any field and press 'Crtl + H' to bring up the 'Find and Replace'.

4) Change 'Look in' to 'Setup2 : Table' and change 'Match' to 'Any Part of Field'.

5) In the 'Find' box search for 'acatalog/' (without the quotes). Leave the 'Replace' box blank.

6) Click 'Replace All'.

7) Repeat this process in the 'SetupInfo' table.

Now go into Actinic and click 'Advanced | Network Setup'. Check your settings and then click 'Cancel' to exit. Do NOT click 'OK' or 'Apply'.

Now go to 'Web | Refresh Website' in Actinic.

It works on my localhost. Try a few test transactions - especially if you are using Shared SSL or a PSP.

Comment

delay

Hi Charles,
            Sorry for the delay in replying to your suggestion, I have been in contact with actinic support and I thought that my question would be answered but basically after emailing abck and forth they suggested the redirect! A complete circle back to where I started from.
            Anyway plan B now and I'll try your suggestion above but I can't understand that no-one has asked actinic support about this before and found a solution.
            Regards,
            Breda

Comment

cgi bin

HI Charles,
              I have changed the database and tryed to refresh the web site. I got the following error:
              "Actinic Ecommerce received an request forbidden error from the web server. The server is not properly configured to allow Actinic Ecommerce to run CGI scripts from the cgi-bin. Run Web | Configure Web Site Details... to review your web site configuration."

In my network settings I had the path to cgi-bin as /irishpadmin/cgi-bin/

and the cgi-bin url as http://www.irishpharmacist.com/acatalog/cgi-bin/
              If I remove the acatalog from this I probably need to save the network settings and then do the database change again?

I also got this error: "A server error occurred while attempting to merge server files. 403 - Forbidden"

Thanks
              Breda

Comment

This looks very wrong. It is likely this folder does not actually exist on your web server.

You need to start again in 'Advanced | Network Settings' and then re-apply the database changes I suggest in my post.

PS My name is Chris

Comment

Working...
                X