Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moan: Why are the address & postcode fields memos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moan: Why are the address & postcode fields memos?

It would be so nice if they were strings.....
    who in the world needs an address line or postcode > 255 bytes?

Since we are tied to Crystal Reports V8.5 (which HATES memo fields)... why must all these useful reporting fields in Actinic be of type 'memo'?

Fields where you might well want to store more than 255 bytes (ie the journal field) make sense to be memos.... but why oh why are the others that way?

Can we re-define them ourselves to be text fields?
    Would Actinic freak out if we did?
    Last edited by Eileen; 05-Aug-2004, 06:08 PM. Reason: typo
    Eileen Eby
    http://www.wildbirdfood.uk.com

Empty memo fields require less storage than empty text fields, that is why most text fields in Actinic are stored as memo's when they are small enough to be text.

When I need to use a memo field in a report I usually just define a query that selects left(255) of the field needed and use that query in the report rather than the actual field.

You could probably redefine the fields as text but it is not something that I would do - you never know what side effects could occur, now or in future versions of Actinic.

Regards,
    Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
    Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
    A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
    Product Mash for Sellerdeck
    Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
    Multichannel order processing
    Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Hi Jan...
      I didn't know that about the space used by empty fields!
      Thanks for explaining.

I too have built queries to use the left x number of bytes from the memo fields.

Browsing the Crystal Reports forum, I see that the modern version of their product allows you to use memo fields in your formulas. It is very annoying when you cannot do in Cyrstal Reports what you can so easily do in an Access report or in VB.

cheers,
      Eileen Eby
      http://www.wildbirdfood.uk.com

Comment

Working...
      X