Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importing Sections and Sub Sections in Flat File

Greetings,

I am trying to import products to my catalog, and organize them by section, sub-section, product. I need some help getting the sub sections setup correctly during the import.

My file looks like this:

"Section","Subsection","Product"

I mapped the product and section alright, but where do I map the sub section?

Please help, and thank you!

o0-0o

try setting up a very basic example site in actinic with a sample of the structure you want. Then export it to see how the file should be formatted...
    John

Comment

The 'Export' feature will generate a hierarchical file rather than a flat file so that may not be the best idea.

What you need to do in your import file is concatenate (join) your 'Section' and 'Sub-Section' fields together into one field called 'Section Text'. You can do this in Excel using a formula. Here is a guide (assuming 'Section' is in column A and 'Sub Section' is in column B):

1) Insert a new section between 'Sub-Section' and 'Product' called 'Section Text'.

2) In the first row of the new column press '=' to start a formula.

3) In the formula bar after the equals sign type CONCATENATE(A2,"|",B2) to the whole thing reads

=CONCATENATE(A2,"|",B2)

4) The 'Section Text' field should now have your section and sub-section in one field with a '|' in between.

5) Copy and paste this formula to all the other fields in the 'Section Text' column.

6) Save the file as a csv and import it into Actinic.

Comment

any reason why the heirarchical file is not the best idea? This is the method I am using to create my product file...
        John

Comment

John

There is nothing wrong with the hierarchical file - it's just that this particular question was to do with importing a flat file.

Comment

Update

Any solution that requires a pipe -|- is good with me.

Comment

Working...
            X