Structure of sites.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Structure of sites.

Through my own error or actinic's sillyness - I suspect the former - I've wound up with my actinic installation being installed to /acatalog/ on the hosting server I'm with; that'd be fine if it were a bolt on to an existing site, but its not - we're setting up an online shop for the first time, and want to default to the catalog.

So, how do I go about moving the shop from /acatalog/ to web root? Can I just delete the existing directories (in test mode) and change my config settings to upload to the directory above; or is there more hacking involved?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Helpless!!

It's standard Actinic protocol to upload the catalog to a directory that Actinic creates if you haven't called /acatalog.

The Network settings are all configured to use the /acatalog directory (and if you're using business and login pages this becomes even more relevent)

It sounds like you want to be able to run the catalog from the raw url of your site and go straight into the Actinic generated pages. This is what brochure pages are for... you can insert your own /index.html page using Actinic and it will take care of all the paths etc to the rest of the catalog

Check out the help on Brochure pages and see how you get on!

Cheers

Jos
    Thanks

Jos Medinger

Tel : 01978 843 962
    www.internetology.co.uk
    Actinic / E-Commerce Hosting, Design & SEO

Comment

The problem being, I've expressly deleted brochure pages because I don't want them, my catalog index serves this purpose much better than the brochure pages.
      It seems ridiculous that Actinic would cripple itself by being unable to install to root, I can't believe this is the case.

Anyone else able to help? Please :\

Comment

You could do this by creating a simple frameset index page for the root of your site that calls in the actinic index page (or whichever page you're wanting as the root of your site)

Comment

Three solutions I can think of:
          [list=1][*]Have a welcome page (useful for introducing people to your site, and showcasing products). To do this, you need to re-instate the brochure pages: Right-click 'Online Catalogue', then click 'New Page'. Put a tick in the box at the bottom marked 'Use as Website Home Page'. This will upload this brochure page to your website root.

[*]Create a forwarding page - this is a blank page that instantly forwards to your acatalog/index.html file. Open notepad, and paste in the following: (changing the domain name)
          Code:
          <html><head></head><body>
          <META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" CONTENT="0;URL=http://www.yourdomain.co.uk/acatalog">
          </body></html>
          Save the file as index.htm , and upload to your website root.
          This method has the problem that search engines don't like page forwarding code - you may no longer get listed

[*]You could ask your web hosting company to set your website document root to your acatalog folder. This means your domain name would point directly to that folder.[/list=1]

Nick Morecroft.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pinbrook

You could ask your web hosting company to set your website document root to your acatalog folder. This means your domain name would point directly to that folder.[QUOTE]

good thinking bat man... i wouldnt have thought of that one!

Might use that myself soon! (except i have my own server, so i dont have to ask anyone!).

Andy

Comment

The root change does seem the only viable option, given the circumstances. Its truly ridiculous though. I just hope our hosting will allow us to change the root, if we plead.

Also, I suppose I could tinker with mod redirect / rewrite, but I'd rather not.

Comment

you can proably do something using .htaccess as well if they won't...

Comment

Working...
                X