Basic SMTP: Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basic SMTP: Settings

I am new and am trying to set up the SMTP to work with my website (www.bikeArama.com), but am not sure what to put in here. It looks like it should ber smtp.bikearama.com, although this does not work. I know this is basic, but any help would be much appreciated. I am hosting with Streamlinenet and use Tiscali for internet connectivity.

rgds

Sean Baber
    www.bikeArama.com
    www.Landroverbikes.com
    Sean Baber
    www.bikeArama.com
    www.landroverbikes.com

You might want to try "localhost" without the quotes and then update the site to see if this works.

If it does not work, then placing in your smtp address probably requires authentication, i.e. username and password which is not present in v6, but is in v7.

Hope the localhost idea works for you though.

Comment

Thanks so much.
      Thats done the trick.
      Its always easy when you know the answer.

Thanks all, this community looks like it is going to be invaluable.

rgds
      Sean Baber
      www.bikeArama.com
      www.landroverbikes.com
      Sean Baber
      www.bikeArama.com
      www.landroverbikes.com

Comment

Your welcome and glad it was easily overcome

Comment

Now does not Work!!

By changing to localhost, this worked without refreshing my site. As soon as I did this it then stopped? I have read about authentication, although not sure what that exactly means. Any help would be appreciated. What should I ask my hosting co regarding SMTP?

rgds
          Sean Baber
          www.bikeArama.com
          www.landroverbikes.com

Comment

A 'Web | Refresh Website' would not stop this from working - all a refresh does is put up files that were there anyway.

When you say 'it stopped', does that mean that no emails are being sent out at all whereas they were before? Try going to 'Advanced | Network Setup' and click the 'Test' button - what happens? It should give you an error message if there is a problem with the setting of 'localhost'.

With regards to what to ask your hosting company, you just need to ask them what your SMTP server should be, and whether it requires authentication. If it does, then authentication is available with v7 - or Norman Rouxel has a patch available HERE for sending emails without SMTP.

Comment

Working...
            X