Bug report in Search Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bug report in Search Engine

We use product codes on the form xx123-4 . . .

The site search will not find product "xx123-4" but when asked to search "xx123" it will find it.

Putting the product code in quotes has no effect . . . it still yields the same 'not found message'.
    Tony

Mandrake Press Ltd.
    Actinic user since 1998

You can get around this by including a modified product code somewhere else in the product details. On this forum someone uses a <script>search terms<noscript> technique.

Regards

Stuart

Comment

Thank you for your reply we have approx. 5000 products on our site.

1. I don't understand why I would want to insert a modified product code? If the product code is xx123-4 that is what my customer will look for . . . not a modified version.

2. I am afraid I have no idea what <script> search term <no script> is or how it would be applicable.
      Tony

Mandrake Press Ltd.
      Actinic user since 1998

Comment

Try this and see if it helps. It worked for me when I tested it:-

Go to View / Search Settings and add "-" (without the quotes) to Word Character Set. Also click the "?" tool tip and then click the Word Character Set field to read the warning message.

The other post about <noscript> tags is useful if you want to put common mispellings into your product names without these being visible to the customer. You would do this by adding the text

!!<<noscript>>!!Mispelt wurds etsetera!!<</noscript>>!!

anywhere in your product description.

Norman
        Norman - www.drillpine.biz
        Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Ok.

Thanks for that.

Tech Support confirm that the use of a hyphen is ok.

I have tried it on our site and it works fine.

Whilst on the subject of product codes (which are displayed on our site) I also wanted to change the standard text 'Reference #' and insert a space between the new 'text' and the product code.

This can be achieved by Design/Text/Go to . . . and entering ID code 65.

For example, we used to have

Reference #IHO937-7

. . . and now

Product Code IHO937-7

Thanks once again for your help.
          Tony

Mandrake Press Ltd.
          Actinic user since 1998

Comment

Working...
          X