domain can't be relayed through mta!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

domain can't be relayed through mta!?

Since I setup my new website in actinic I have been unable to send the manual e-mail messages (ie. order shipped, payment received etc).

The message I get is -

"Failed to communicate with the SMTP server
    blah blah blah
    the error was:58326xxxError returned from SMTP server (4:Sorry that domain isn't allowed to be relayed through this MTA (#5.7.1))"

I have tried two different SMTP servers that work for normal sending of mail, but i get the same message...

Any ideas?
    John

Have you tried "localhost" without the quotes?

Comment

Hi,
      I can also confirm this is a problem with Actinic. We use Blueyonder for our ISP, and are getting exactly the same error.

I am wondering if this might be an XP SP2 problem? We do not use the built in Windows Firewall - it is turned off - we use the NAT firewall on our broadband router instead. I just tested a V6 site too, that seems to have the same problem.

We use smtp.blueyonder.co.uk on all our email clients, with no problems.

Support@Techno-... I think that localhost won't be very useful, as we need to use a working SMTP server to send out the customer emails.

Can we have some comment/suggestions/advise from Actinic?

Thanks in advance,
      Nick Morecroft
      01392 434530
      <A target=_blank href ="http://www.pinbrookhosting.co.uk/">http://www.pinbrookhosting.co.uk/</A>
      hosting, search engine optimisation, design and ecommerce

Comment

When emailing from the Actinic operated website or from the application connected to the website, the route the email takes in the localhost scenario is that the software connects to the hosting package and then it is emailed out from there via the Actinic scripts installed at the hosting end.... and not via your local connection or ISP provider.

The majority of the time when people enter their ISP is when they are actually connected to the Internet using that ISP, so when you click test for the email side of it, the connection is accepted due to the fact that your connection to the Internet is authenticated in one form or another by virtue of your ISP providing your connection..

If not connected to that ISP and you try using the test or email function, it will not work as the ISP will not allow its Mail Transport Agent (MTA) to relay for that particular email as you are not authenticated with them at that time, unless you are specifically using Authenticated SMTP and approp settings in v7 or patches as per Normans patch for this feature.

localhost when implemented properly on hosting platforms will work with all versions of the Actinic software, you just need to ensure that your host establishes this type of set up for it to work seamlessly all of the time.

Comment

Sorry, further to that...

If you go into your local "HOSTS" file on the PC you are using, see if it has a ...

127.0.0.1 localhost

entry......

Comment

I am wondering if this might be an XP SP2 problem
            my actinic is running on a w2k box...

Have you tried "localhost" without the quotes?
            yes, now I get the error "Failed to communicate with the SMTP server.

Possible Cause:
            Network transmission problems.

Recommendation:
            Retry

Resolution:
            If retry fails, check your SMTP settings
            or contact your ISP.

The error was:
            58331xxx@xxx.com Error returned from SMTP server (1: SMTP service not available"

(as before xxx represents the e-mail address)

Sorry, further to that...If you go into your local "HOSTS" file on the PC you are using, see if it has a ...127.0.0.1 localhost
            yup, that's there alright.

btw. this isn't the same machine I use for sending mail from - is there a simple test I can do to make sure normal e-mail works (without loading outlook)?
            John

Comment

John

I strongly recommend registering an email support request at http://www.actinic.co.uk/support/register.htm as problems like this are hard to figure out on a community. I think someone will actually have to look at your server.

Comment

Working...
              X