Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Site speed

Hi all,

We have just recently completed work on one of our sites and we are receiving some comments that some pages take too long to load or do not load at all. The site has been created using the 1 product in 1 section method to better utilise the product choices issue.

The largest pages are - Click here

Click here

Click here

I have tested the site on 256k ADSL & standard dial-up and even though dial-up took longer it still was at an acceptable level but some customers have said that those pages don't load at all.

I have noticed that when one of our test machines downloads the sitemap page it looks as if it is trying to redownload it continuosly and you see the server IP address flash quickly in the bottom left of the browser?

Is there any way I can improve the speed of the pages?

Kind regards

Granthams

your site

Hi,

it loaded quick enought for me,

Chris.

Comment

Thanks Chris,

What connection/speed are you using?

Regards

Granthams

Comment

All your pages seem to load strangely for me. Not only are they too large at something like 100K Bytes (at least 20 seconds on dial-up) but they also seem to be doing some strange reloading behaviour (2 or 3 times) before displaying properly. (This is on 512K ADSL)

I know broadband is becoming popular, particularly for business users, but I'd still try and keep my pages at around 20-30 K bytes max. The general advice is that a page shouldn't take more than 2-3 seconds to load. Any longer and people will tend to go elsewhere.

The really strange thing about your page is that it's mostly text and your images are small, so there's little reason for it to be so large. I'd guess it's mostly dreamweaver bloat.

Mike
        -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Steve,

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/ is a tool I use a great deal.

I put http://www.artdiscount.co.uk/acatalo...file___Tr.html through and the results were:

Object Size Totals
          Object type Size (bytes)
          HTML: 80243
          Javascript: 7755
          CSS: 160944
          Multimedia: 0
          Other: 0

External Objects
          External Object QTY
          Total Images: 35
          Total Scripts: 2
          Total CSS imports: 1

Download Times*
          Connection Rate Download Time
          14.4K 115.90 seconds
          28.8K 58.05 seconds
          33.6K 49.79 seconds
          56K 29.95 seconds
          ISDN 128K 9.31 seconds
          T1 1.44Mbps 0.99 seconds

*Note that these download times are based on the full connection rate for ISDN and T1 connections. Modem connections (56Kbps or less) are corrected by a packet loss factor of 0.7. All download times include delays due to round-trip latency with an average of 0.2 seconds per object. With 39 total objects for this page, that computes to a total lag time due to latency of 7.8 seconds. Note also that this download time calculation does not take into account delays due to XHTML parsing and rendering.

Your CSS file is VAST.

Hope this helps
          Niall
          www.highlandclans.co.uk

Comment

Much appreciated Highlander,

Those stats make alarming reading!

It seems that the browser is re-loading the CSS file for every single product choice because the actual file is only 4k?

I have managed to half the file size for the Act_primary, clean up the main Act_productLine templates, and include the CSS as a link but as olderscot mentioned earlier something strange is happening when the page is loading.
            He also mentioned the fact that most of the page is text so how does Actinic generate such large files for this?

If this cannot be changed I need to come up with Plan B but due to the nature of our products and the amount of choices we are short on options.
            We previously used components, attributes & choices but we now need to have the choices available as a list where customers can pick out whatever they want.

Please help!

Kind regards

Granthams

Comment

Nice report.

The css size is strange but that may be the

<link href="actinic.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
              bits that I think may be for interfacing to dreamweaver. Try compacting your code (and there may be some other options too, I can't remember).

The code for each of the product lines is also huge at 1125 bytes. I'm sure the code for the table could be reduced significantly. Try getting rid of the table cell height, align and valign stuff and putting it in the table definition. If you can that would save you almost 20% on it's own.

I can't for the life of me work out why the report says you've got 58K of images on the page. I certainly can't find them.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Working...
              X