Ophan section/product bug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ophan section/product bug?

I've just found what I think is another v6 bug.

Setting up a client catalog using 6.0.2.1.0.0.CNNA developer, licensed as a business site, I setup the base catalog, setup the templates, setup the first level and second level sections - this is a car spares site, so the top level sections are car/auto manufacturers, then 2nd level are the models, e.g, Dodge Stealth, Dodge Viper, etc.

Within the top car, I setup the structure which was to be used for all the models - these are the classifications - such as:

Body modifications, Superchargers, Turbo Chargers etc, etc, etc, There are 18 sub-sections at this level.

All is fine so far....

Next, I needed to copy this structure to the 50 or so cars within the store, so I expanded all the manufacturers such that I could see the car model subsections, then I highlighted the 18 spares sections and copied them using CTRL-C.

For each car, I selected the sub-section, right-clicked and selected Paste sub-section.

After I was at the bottom of of the list, I began double clicking the sections I can see for my categories (the ones I've just pasted). They won't open. Error opening or some such similar error.

So I exit catalog without backup and open the catalog again. At this point, Actinic warns of a number of Ophaned products or sub-sections, which it offers to remove - I click ok and am presented with a completely BLANK catalog... ie - EVERYTHING is gone.

Closing Actinic, I revert to my Backup.mdb file and restore an earlier working verions of my Actinic database.

One pasting ONE instance into the next car make down, I think I've worked out what the problem might be.

Actinic adds "copy_of_" to the front of the HTML filename for each time I paste these sub-sections into the next car down - and then it adds... "copy_of_copy_of_" to the next one... and I think this continues until some internal limit is reached. At this point ... meltdown appear to occur - not some graceful warning.

Anyway, I searched for "orphan" in the community, and couldn't find it - so I'm posting this as a caveat and possible bug report.

Check it out - just make sure you have a completely successful backup of your site before you do this - as it DOES break!

regards

Web Your Business Inc.
    Web Design & Ecommerce - Affordable Web Hosting
    Free and low cost Merchant Accounts coming soon..
    NOD32 Antivirus - Reciprocal Links for Actinic Sites ONLY

is that you Greg?

Comment

Hi Greg

Yes, what you describe is a distinct possibility and I have passed your message onto the Development team to try and find an altenative to the 'copy_of_' prefix.

In the meantime, as a workaround I would suggest creating the section hierarchy, then copying it. Then close Actinic and open up the 'ActinicCatalog.mdb' database in Actinic. You can then open the 'Catalog Section' table and do a find and replace to replace all instances of 'copy_of_' with '1' or something similar. Repeat this each time you copy the hierarchy and you should be able to build it without problems.

Alternatively, you could copy the section hierarchy and then do an export, do the find and replace and them import again.

Not a pretty workaround, but at least you will only have to do this once to get all your sections in place.

Comment

My work around was to pass the whole mess onto our junior staff member and tell him it's a "learning exercise"... kind of like.... wax on... wax off..... wax on.... wax off.... ( KK Pt1 )

I know I could have created a spreadsheet to generate the unique filenames and dropped it to a text file for flat-file import, but I just want to report it as a bug at the moment and post it for everyone else to be aware of.

The backup.mdb file got back from the mess that had been created, but one of the most worrying things, is that the error wasn't handled internally when the pasteing surpassed the limit of the field length, AND that the "recovery" ended up with a COMPLETELY empty Catalog - ie, ALL of the sections had gone.

btw - can you change the thread title to "Orphan", not "Ophan"!

Comment

Chris,

did this make it into v.6.10? Our client just hit the bug and trashed a ton of work. This requires elevation if it's not in the latest release.

thanks

Web Your Business Inc.

Comment

This fix missed the cut for 6.1.0 but it will make an appearance in the next maintenance release.

Comment

Working...
            X