Search Linking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Search Linking

Is it possible to link a series of items in the search area?

Ie. I would like the following:-

CustomVAR = Main1 (when chosen, the CustomVAR ONLY shows those items relevant to Main1)
    CustomVAR = Main2 (When chosen, the second CustomVAR ONLY shows the items relevant to Main2)

For example:-

Boat type = Buccaneer
    Model = XXX or YYY or ZZZ
    Boat type = Haines Hunter
    Model = AAA, BBB or CCC

Thanks

Hi Mark,

Just to clarify:

In the advanced search you would like a dropdown/radio buttons of:

First Selection

Title = Buccaneer
    Model Choice = None, XXX or YYY or ZZZ

Second Selection

Title = Haines Hunter
    Model Choice = None, AAA, BBB or CCC

So if I select "XXX" it will search for all the "XXX" values entered within the product's properties?
    Regards,

Toby Blanchard

Comment

Toby,

What I am looking for is the following:-

The first drop down will show the boat manufacturers/make:-

Any
      Buccaneer <Option Chosen for example>
      Haines Hunter
      etc

Once a selection has been chosen fro the first dropdown, the second will automatically be created with a corresponding selection of models:-

Any
      Model 1 <Chosen for example>
      Model 2
      Model 3

The search will now look for a Buccaneer, Model 1

If the Haines Hunter is selected in the first dropdown, the second dropdown will only show those models associated with the Haines Hunter:-

Any
      Haines 1
      Haines 2
      Haines 3

etc

However, the tricky bit, is that I would like the search selections to be automatically generated from two custom properties.

I hope this helps you understand what it is I am after?

The nearest example is that found on http://www.autotrader.co.uk/ although I am only looking for the make and model of boats.

Kindest regards

Mark

Comment

Hi Mark,

The problem with this is that all the search drop downs will be shown on the search page at once. You can't select an option and have the page re-generated so another drop down will appear and so on.

Does that make sense?

Would you mind all the drop downs showing at once?
        Regards,

Toby Blanchard

Comment

Toby,

How do you mean, "all the drop downs shown at once"? Is there a site where I could see what you mean?

Would it not be possible to create an array when generating the search page and only selecting the ones needed as the choice in the dropdown is selected?

regards

Mark

Comment

Toby,

I think I know what you are getting at!!

I actually want the two drop down boxes to appear on the page at the same time. However, I want the selection choices in the second box to be changed (tied/relevant) to the choice selected in the first box.

Is that a bit clearer?

regards

mark

Comment

Hi Mark,

I'm afraid with the standard set up of Actinic you can't have the second lot of choices only be relevant to your first selection.

So if the first drop down was:

Ford
              Rover
              BMW

And BMW was selected, the second drop down would not just get populated with BMW models - it would show all the models.

You may be able to get your desired effect using ASP or another language but I wouldn't know how to set this up.

Unless anyone else has any ideas?
              Regards,

Toby Blanchard

Comment

Thanks for your help Toby.

It seems that I have finally "outstetched" Actinic's capability. I will have a programmer have a look at creating a javascript for pulling the info from 2 CUSTOMVAR's.

This could be a special for Norman Rouxel if he is interested???

Kindest regards

Mark

Comment

Working...
                X