Query for Highlander - dynamic image script

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Query for Highlander - dynamic image script

I've been trying to find a way to dynamically change thumbnail images when a choice is made from a drop down list.

Norman has various scripts for select buttons and the like. www.highlandclans.co.uk has a fantastic dynamic script which appears to be based on one of Normans scripts (forgive me if that's incorrect).

Does anyone know where I can obtain this script and information as to which templates need changing.

Niall (Highlander) if you do read this post I would greatly appreciate some info / help with this. - Superb site, by the way, easy to use, intuitive and informative.

Thanks in advance

Peter

http://www.acsissling.com

They're using http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=4540 adapted to work with SELECT statement rather than RADIO buttons.

Norman
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thanks Norman

That's what I thought, I take it from your reply that the customisation of the script to us select statement is one of their own.

I am no programmer, so it's about as much as I can do to cut and past code into the right places.

Again if you read this, Highlander, I would like to be able to use this code on my site.

Cheers

Peter

Comment

I've updated the patch in http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=4540 to also support drop down lists. Look for the attachment at the end of this big thread.

Norman

Now, I'm just about to build a new bathroom.....

Comment

Thanks Norman

happy plumbing !!!!!!!!!

Comment

Highland Clans adaption of Norman's Code

Peter,

I am sorry that I missed your post. I have not being paying attention for a few days.

I have attached a zip file which I think will work. I haven't had time to test it.

It is a much simplified version of Norman's code. As we have up to 500 tartans in a selection box this makes for a large page. So we only allow one image swap per page.

Its very simple and the code is not that pretty - but it does what we want.

A word of caution. All the swap images will fit the same image size parameters as the static image so make sure they are all the same size. We have some distortion where I still have to resize the static images.

Hope this helps. However, I see that Norman has adapted his. If there is a choice I know whose code I would choose.

Regards,

Niall
            Attached Files
            Niall
            www.highlandclans.co.uk

Comment

Niall, I'm afraid that your code doesn't work with the Opera browser. Opera doesn't tolerate JavaScript within <SELECT..> </SELECT> blocks. I usually deal with this by generating all the HTML into a string and then document.write the lot at the </select> statement.

I think my patch would work straight away with your existing choices as it uses the same format for the encoded image.

Norman

Comment

Hello Niall

I've actually put Norman's code that he posted up in reply to my enquiries and it works fine.

The hardware products that we sell cover may different designs and finish variations so we need to have multiple products with several finish options on each page.

As you point out the images need to fit the same size window as the original, a tedious time with MM Fireworks to follow.....

Anyhow, it's all sorted now and works fine in all major browsers.

Many Thanks

Peter

Comment

Norman,

Thank you very much for that information. I shall amend accordingly.

One thing - I tried your site using Netscape 7.1 - the primary navigation is seriously broken, can't get to the various sections of the site. Works fine in MIE.
                  You seem to be well orgainised in the compatablity stakes - Can you shed any light on this message I got in the other day?

I hope your plumbing went well. I do quite a bit of that!

Many thanks,

Niall
                  Niall
                  www.highlandclans.co.uk

Comment

Niall

the horizontal nav bar is all bunched up in the left corner in Netscape 7.1
                    Attached Files

Comment

Niall

Also the nav is messed up in Opera, Mozilla Firefox, NS6

Could be a style sheet fault if you're using css to hold the horizontal nav bar in place

Peter

Comment

Peter,

Thanks for that.

Thats going to cause a few headaches!
                        Niall
                        www.highlandclans.co.uk

Comment

There was a bug in my earlier patch that hides the image on products with a SELECT that don't use any additional images.

I've fixed it and completely rewritten the Select code to make if much more efficient in terms of page load times.

Please use this one instead. If updating you only need to replace

dynamicimagesupport.js
                          Act_VariantListHeader.html
                          Act_VariantListChoice.html
                          Act_VariantListFooter.html

with the bits from the readme.

Norman
                          Attached Files

Comment

I've done some more tidying up. Rather than have my patches appearing in more than one place please go to http://community.actinic.com/showthr...4159#post44159 and get it from there.

Norman

Comment

Browser Check Please

If anyone has a way of checking this test menu http://www.highlandclans.co.uk/HCexample1test.html

(ignore the Vertical Menu bar on the left)

against Opera, Mozilla, Firefox and Netscape I would very much appreciate an indication whether it works.

Many thanks in advance.
                              Niall
                              www.highlandclans.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X