X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using CSS to completely customise layout

Hi,

Im a newbie to Actinic.

Does anyone know if it is possible to completely customise my site using CSS?

If so, is this possible by using Actinic's interface, or will I have to export/upload my site and then edit the HTML files from there?

Cheers

You can edit the Actinic templates (Act_Primary.html, etc.) almost anyway you please, so yes that includes attaching your own CSS.

There are quite a few threads on here to get you started and Chris Dickens made a clean css theme (don't have the link, just do a search), which serves as a useful starting point for any work you do (saves on workload ;-)

Comment

thanks.

Is it possible/advisable to edit the HTML pages as well?

I notice that pages created with Actininc include the <FONT> tag, which is now deprecated in the latest HTML specification and therefore should no longer be used in web pages.

I need to know if its possible to write fully standards-compliant html pages with Actinic, as my web consultancy business is based on encouraging the adoption of web standards.

Comment

You'll never get full standards-compliance with an Actinic site (not yet anyway) because Actinic uses its own tags to generate pages, and unfortunately those tags aren't 100% valid in standards terms.

Unless these can be edited, but I wouldn't go there.

Otherwise edit the HTML as much as you want, just make sure that you retain the essential Actinic snippets (baseref, cookiedetect, etc)

Comment

I approach the replacement of (future) depreciated tags on a find and change basis, unfortunately/fortunately I hand code most of our sites in a text editor and just replace the offending tags with a class on sight, but dont go hunting them down.

It really is just personal preference, if the W3c ever catch up with reality it may become a problem, but we will all have web enabled cranial implants by then
          Justin Rowe
          Shiver

Comment

Originally posted by shiver
            It really is just personal preference, if the W3c ever catch up with reality it may become a problem, but we will all have web enabled cranial implants by then
            Exactly. Just not worth the trouble for the sake of validation, and Actinic can behave unpredictably if you mess with its fundamentals too much. Especially generated tags.

The rule is design first, standards later (if you can be bothered).

Comment

Working...
            X