No announcement yet.

v10 - More about 'real time stock control'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jonathan, sorry to be so slow in replying. Those things will work the same way they do with the current stock monitoring system.
    Bruce Townsend
    Ecommerce Product Manager
    Sellerdeck Ecommerce Solutions

Comment

Originally posted by brucet View Post
      OK, here's the good news. Real Time Stock will observe whatever is set for 'Allocate Stock for PSP Pending Orders'.
      Has anyone got it working properly? I was going to update my Business Plus v9 to v10 this week, just to get Stock Control feature. I am evaluating v10 on my test site but 'Allocate Stock for PSP Pending Orders' doesn't seem to work as I thought it would.

I have 'Allocate Stock for PSP Pending Orders' unticked so that stock is allocated only when it's paid for and yet when I go and place an order but never pay for it, the product becomes unavailable for ordering. What is even more confusing is that it still shows as being in stock!

Am I missing something, are there any other settings that I should change?
      Many thanks

Comment

This sounds odd and isn't what should be happening.

The whole reason for having this function is so that a customer who tries to order, but fails at the payment stage, can go back and replace the order without the stock being wrongly allocated to the failed order.

I'm struggling to remember now. Isn't there supposed to be a 'fast' re-sync process with the PC to update things? I wonder if it's at this stage that the PSP pending stock get's added back and whether there's someplace that you can define how often this happens?

Mike
        -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

I can see a similar thing on a test domain, where we had 5 products in stock, we were making purchases just to get through to the checkout process and test that and after 5 add to carts, our 6th purchase said out of stock, yet we'd not completed one checkout process. I think actinic allocates as you add to cart and i can't see how it cannot do this, the point seems to be on how long actinic reserves that stock, before it realises that it should be returned to the stock count, it simply has to allocate it on the press of the add to cart though, that's for sure IMO.

Comment

I don't think it's done at add to cart. I've just tried a couple of carts on a V10 users website and with 6 in stock, it would let me add 6 to cart in an IE window and another 2 on Chrome. I didn't place the order as that would have made it un-orderable by a real customer.

I'm pretty sure it is the order that removes items from stock, but an order is created whether or not the payment is completed (as we all know).

RTC is not supposed to remove stock with PSP pending orders. I suspect it does in RT and then corrects itself when everything syncs back. Anyone know how / when this happens?

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by olderscot View Post
              I don't think it's done at add to cart. I've just tried a couple of carts on a V10 users website and with 6 in stock, it would let me add 6 to cart in an IE window and another 2 on Chrome. I didn't place the order as that would have made it un-orderable by a real customer.

I'm pretty sure it is the order that removes items from stock, but an order is created whether or not the payment is completed (as we all know).

RTC is not supposed to remove stock with PSP pending orders. I suspect it does in RT and then corrects itself when everything syncs back. Anyone know how / when this happens?

Mike
              Mike, I've tested it again, properly this time I hope and it seems that Stock Control is doing the right thing i.e. not allocating stock for psp pending orders. What I did wrong was trying to add the product to the cart twice and it, quite rightly, wouldn't let me. However, I will see whether I can replicate Lee's problem on my website before I go ahead with an upgrade.

Comment

Well I'm sure on my testing it was doing that, because as soon as I updated the stock level and updated the site the product could be added to cart again. Perhaps it was on viewing (not completing) checkout that it is allocated, but that would mean that 2 people can look at one product with just 1 in stock and both add in theory. Something has to be happening on the add to cart, I can't see how it can't.

Comment

Not stock related but since I have you here, there is something that annoys me in v10 and you may be able to shed some light before I go ahead with the upgrade: every time I open v10 and go to 'Orders' tab my orders are listed by 'Date Ordered' but always show the oldest first so I have to click 'Date ordered' again to get most recent orders first. My v9 always rememberes how orders were sorted last time actinic closed but v10 doesn't seem to remember this!

Comment

If add to cart does not allocate stock, someone who shops for an hour could find that the product they added an hour ago is no longer in stock if someone completes within their hour window. Fishing sites would fall over with that setup!

Comment

Probably a registry setting, these annoying usability issues usually are.

Comment

As far as I'm aware it's the first customer who completes the order that gets the stock, not the first to add to cart.

This makes sense given the low percentage of carts that make it through to completed orders.

I can't remember when the stock quantity is re-checked. Whether it's when the customer enters checkout or the next time the cart is updated.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
                          Probably a registry setting, these annoying usability issues usually are.
                          Is it just me (running Windows 7) or everyone with v10 have the same problem? Can your v10 remember how your orders were sorted on exit?

Comment

I can certainly see your point, I guess our discussions highlight perfectly how a perfect solution is not possible. It's an 'I added this to cart when in stock' versus a 'too many abandoned carts to allocate then' argument.

Comment

We thought about this quite a lot during the development, and opted for allocating stock on checkout completion. The abandoned carts issue was the main reason. If we allocated stock on add to cart, any competitor could theoretically go to your site, place all your remaining stock in their cart and leave, and your site would not accept any more orders until their cart expired!

Secondarily and from a technical pov, the Actinic cart is held in a cookie on the shoppers PC, and Actinic is not aware of what's in it. Moving to an online cart, with all the related privacy and security issues, would have greatly increased the scale of the work.
                              Bruce Townsend
                              Ecommerce Product Manager
                              Sellerdeck Ecommerce Solutions

Comment

Does checkout completion include payment received or just being forwarded to a PSP.

If it allocates stock when forwarded to the PSP and they have a problem, and try again a few minutes later which is very very common will they be faced with out of stock issues and if so is there any way you could detect the the customers IP address to get around the problem
                                Darren Guppy
                                Golf Tee Warehouse
                                Golf Tees and Golf Accessories.

Comment

Working...
                                X