Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Different section name to breadcrumb trail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different section name to breadcrumb trail?

difficult to describe what I mean in the title!

Is it at all possible to have the section name different to what appears in the breadcrumb trail?
    Sound crazy? Hear me out!

I've consistently noticed that my size 18 trousers and jeans sections get first page hits for "maternity trousers" and other sections don't.
    The page it is finding is one with the section name of "maternity trousers and jeans" whereas, through the rest of my catalogue, the corresponding sections in the other sizes are just called "trousers and jeans"

Now, the size 18 ones have been popping up higher in the searches for some time so I considered renaming ALL the section names to include the term "maternity" (page titles, urls etc already do)

The problem I have with that is that it make my breadcrumb trail long and repetitive.

Imagine THIS PAGE with the text "maternity" added in to each section..

Would it be an idea just to add it in perhaps at the 3rd level (ie, "trousers & jeans" but not "size 8" or "trousers", "jeans" etc)?

That would give me a good leg-up, helping more sections get search hits like the size 18 one does..

or...do I go whole hog and add it into the next level down too? Would it seem excessive?

could I remove the word "maternity" from the breadcrumb trail but have it in the section name?

Or perhaps, with the collapso menu, do away with the breadcrumb trail? although I have to think about the appearance of longer section names in the collapso menu too

Ohhhhhhhh, I dunno...I'm just after opinions really
    I don't want to add it in for the search engines but mess up the look of the site in the process!
    Tracey

Here's an outline of how to do this.

Create a Section level Variable called BreadCrumbName.

Edit the layouts Compact Parent Section Link and Compact This Section Name to replace all occrrences of
    Code:
    <actinic:variable name="SectionName"/>
    with
    Code:
    <actinic:variable encoding="actinic" name="SectionName" if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22BreadCrumbName%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%22%22" /><actinic:variable name="BreadCrumbName" />
    So now if BreadCrumbName has a value it will display. Otherwise the old Section Name will.
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Good idea Tracey and thanks for the solution Norman, well done.
      Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

I've edited post #2 above as the code can be considerably simplified by using a Condition within the SectionName variable.
        Norman - www.drillpine.biz
        Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Fantastic Norman...thank you!!!
          I'll tackle that this evening!
          Tracey

Comment

ok...that worked great, Norman.

Although your method helped me to work it out slightly differently.
            Because I didn't want my "extended" section names appearing in my collapso menu either (just as my "on page" section/subsection names), I figured it'd be easier to set up a new variable for the displayed section name, leaving the collapso and breadcrumb trail to use the current names.

So, using your method, I set up a SectionDisplayName variable and entered it into the Standard Section Page layout in place of the SectionName

So replacing

Code:
            <actinic:variable name="SectionName"/>
            with

Code:
            <actinic:variable encoding="actinic" name="SectionName" if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22SectionDisplayName%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%22%22" /><actinic:variable name="SectionDisplayName" />
            This means I can control my "on screen" section name separately to the collapso/breadcrumb trail rather than the other way round which works out easier for me (especially as I didn't want to dabble in the collapso layout!)

Cheers though Norman...couldn't have done it without your method in the first place! Much appreciated

Editted to add...I also changed the alt attribute of the section image to use the same code as above...can't hurt, eh?
            Tracey

Comment

Working...
            X