creating multiple different best seller lists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

creating multiple different best seller lists

i'v had a bit of a fiddle, and i must admint to being stumped.

is it possible to create a seperate best sellers list, of say, only 3 items... where your normal best sellers list has 5 items in it?

and for this to contain the same data as the other best sellers list, but have a different template?

If you click the 'Insert Layout' button, you can insert the 'BestSellerList' layout selector into the design. If you just insert this as it is, you can specify the list layout to use in the 'Layout' tab of 'Site Options'.

However, if you select 'Use Fixed Layout' when inserting the layout, you can specify which best sellers list layout you want to insert at that point in the design, and Actinic will always insert that layout, and ignore what's set in Site Options. This way, you can have different best seller list layouts at different points in your design.

For the different number of products in each list, have a play with a condition such as

ListIndex <= 3

Comment

Gabe - see http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=30816

Bikster
      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

thanks gents, totlally missed that layout info while piddling around in the interface.

Comment

Wood? Trees?

Bikster

Comment

still climbing trees

I can see now how we can insert a block and show only certain elements from the marketing lists .. I am still not sure how I wrap this in a condition (probably using the wrong terms here) that says .. If the user is logged in show item 1 - 4, else show 5 - 8.

I have downloaded the latest advanced guide and read all sorts of postings but i simply can't work out how to add this last bit of functionality.

help?

Comment

Have you tried using wrapping the Block if with the <Actinic:NOTINB2B>

Bikster

Comment

um .. yes, I tried that and it made absolutely no difference at all .. rather oddly.

To be honest, I am not sure if I was wrapping the block correctly though and I don't seem to be able to uncover any guidance about how these can be successfully implemented - I know they exist - I'm just not clear on how one uses them!!

But in anycase, would this provide the functionality of - if logged in get these else get those?

Comment

But in anycase, would this provide the functionality of - if logged in get these else get those?
                  The following is from the Advanced Users Guide..

If you have a design element in your site that you only want to show to registered customers, and hide from retail customers, then you need place the following tags before the code:
                  <Actinic:NOTINB2B><!--</Actinic:NOTINB2B>
                  …and put these after the code:
                  <Actinic:NOTINB2B>--></Actinic:NOTINB2B>
                  This will mean that the HTML comment marks will only appear for unregistered customers, and hence the content will be hidden from them.
                  Please note that in order for this to work, you need to ensure that 'Compact HTML/CGI' is de-selected in 'Design | Design Options'.

Kind regards,
                  Bruce King
                  SellerDeck

Comment

the code ..

thanks for this Bruce .. for others who might want this functionality I now have the code which works kindly supplied by Actinic Support (Mr. Green if memory serves me right, apologies if it doesn't .. but a genius nevertheless).

so .. this provides several neat functions on www.partsandpumps.co.uk

for someone NOT logged in, they are presented with the first 4 items from the new products marketing list.

If they ARE logged in they instead get items 5 onwards (in my case 5 - 8)

I have applied the same logic to the home page best seller list and it works a treat. The only oddity .. which I still have to understand .. seems to have been that using this code results in the images for the thumbnail images (home page only .. ?) being sourced outside the acatalog folder .. so for the website (and for now) I have copied all jpg images so they are visible (or else I get the little box with a red cross in it for all thumbnails of products).

here's that code ..
                    Code:
                    <actinic:variable value="Mini New Products Item" name="NewProductsItem" /> </actinic:block> </Actinic:NOTINB2B> <Actinic:NOTINB2B><!--</Actinic:NOTINB2B>
                        <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22ListIndex%22%20%2f%3e%20%3e%3d%205%20AND%20%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22ListIndex%22%20%2f%3e%20%3c%3d%208" >
                        <actinic:variable value="Mini New Products Item" name="NewProductsItem" /> </actinic:block> <Actinic:NOTINB2B>--></Actinic:NOTINB2B>
                    hopefully the final part of this wishlist stuff is to be able to present different sets of best seller / new product stuff to different groups of customers .. so (say) a wholesale group are presented with wholesale deals .. whereas a retail customer who might be offered a 5% discount could be presented with a special '5% off customer special deal set .. etc.

use and enjoy and thanks again to Mr Green at Actinic for helping me out when I got very stuck.

Comment

Mr Green, i thought Jonty invented this idea?
                      Jonty, they're at it again!

Comment

Lee,

The list index is Jont's and Gary Green only put the notinB2B tags in the appropriate place to make the list appearance conditional to login..

Jont suggested it, but David did not know how or where to put it...

Regards,
                        Bruce King
                        SellerDeck

Comment

Ah gotcha, thanks.

I was only winding Jonty up anyway, seemed an ideal opportunity been as he does likewise with me.

Destined for the AUG no doubt? Please do, my actinic favourites folder full of goodies is becoming unyieldy. Nowt from Jont in there, he just robs all of support's ideas....

Comment

true .. I didn't know how or where to put it

um.

... story of my life

so thanks to Jont too ... !! obviously. It was Gary Green who actually took the time and trouble to help me though, so fair credit to his assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
                              I was only winding Jonty up anyway, seemed an ideal opportunity been as he does likewise with me.
                              That's what mates are for

Bikster

Comment

Working...
                              X