Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could anyone help with a layout, please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could anyone help with a layout, please?

html really isn't my strong point and I can't see what's going wrong here

I've made a kind of hybrid layout for my extended info pages.

What I'm looking to do is replace my current (newish) "opens in same window" with "add to cart button" layout for a pop up with an add to cart button & related products.

I've done a bit of layout mixing but something is amiss and, not being too hot on html, I can't see it when I'm sure it's probably glaringly obvious

The product I'm experimenting with is THIS ONE (shorts) and, as I'm sure a more experienced eye can tell, I have my related products encompassing the whole page (the "other items you might like" heading is the related products heading)

The rest of it is just about as I want it but I can't get my head around what is wrong here.

My goal, is to put my extended info back to a pop up...but producing a page that passes as a "web site page" for the benefits of customer who arrive via GoogleBase (and i do get quite a lot) with decent navigation to the main site, but without making it look like overkill to someone who has used the "more info link from the main site.
    I know it needs some work, but I need to get this "basic" error sorted first

IYSWIM!
    My reason for changing it is that my current "check and send" speed is ridiculously excessive (bearing in mind I have to upload new stock levels after every order) since changing from pop-up extended info to "add to cart, opens in same page" info and I'm experimenting to see if this layout is some sort of compromise.

Really appreciate any of your expert eyes to take a look and see if it's something obvious :-)

Many thanks

editted to add layout...which I guess gives more insight despite being gobble-de-gook in translation

ok...scrap that...post is too long including layout..
    I'll attempt to get it into a text file (well, the body of it) and attach

ok...Edit 2...added attachment...sorry for how crappy it all looks like this
    Attached Files
    Tracey

Tracey, sorry if i am being a bit blonde, i've read it 3 times, but i don't get what you want to do. When i click to take a look at an extended info page, it looks fine and the related products are displaying at the bottom much like in a mini best sellers layout etc.

The link you provided takes us to a page but i see nothing wrong? If you can explain a bit better i will try and help, but i don't understand at the mo. The only thing i could come up is that the layout your provided in the text file, has no <head> section, so if you are wanting to use it as a page, then it will need to have that. I'm sure i'm having a whoosh moment (no offence meant Lee )

Comment

ugh...I know, I deleted the <head> bit so the layout wasn't too big to add in as code (although it still was so I did it as text file anyway)

sorry I didn't explain very well.

The problem with THIS extended info page is that the text "other items you might like" is showing at the top of the page where this heading is actually for the related products and should appear above them (ie...below the image/description)

I'm sure I have probably got some dodgy code in there (from copying and pasting bits from other layouts) probably stray or missing <td> or something but, not being knowledgable in these areas... I just can't see it

I've been fiddling with it again this morning and did manage to get the related products heading below the image at one point...but then it squashed everything up to one side

That version uploaded now is the best I can do..but that heading is in the wrong place

Thanks for looking though

ETS...the "whoosh moment" comment made me chuckle
      Tracey

Comment

Right this could get ugly, but without the layout, it will need correcting in stages. For starters, if you do a view source on the page you provided, you will see this towards the very bottom of the code:

</script>
        </td>
        </tr>
        </td>

</tr>
        </table>

The ones in red are not doing anything, they are either errant tags or they were never opened. Remove those (take a full copy first into notepad) and see what happens then.

Comment

Hi

The line 'Other items you might like' is sandwiched between a </tr> and a new table, therefor the browser dosn't know where to put it.

The line needs putting into a new table cell in a new row, just above the additional items row.

Your code:

<hr noshade>

</td>

</tr>
          <font size=3 align=center color="#2f7790"><b>Other items you might like</b></font><br /><br/>
          <table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2"><tr><td class="dotted_outline_blue" valign="top" width="33%" height="300">
          <a href="/cgi-bin/ss000005.pl?PRODREF=DP-Turq-VT&amp;NOLOGIN=1">

Should be:

<hr noshade>

</td>

</tr>
          <tr>
          <td><font size=3 align=center color="#2f7790"><b>Other items you might like</b></font>
          </td>
          </tr>

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2"><tr><td class="dotted_outline_blue" valign="top" width="33%" height="300">

Comment

This part (about 50 lines down):

<span class="actxsmall"><font color="666666">Budget Bumps</span></a> </font> </strong>&nbsp;<font size=1><b>></b></font>&nbsp;
            <a href="Maternity.html" target="_self">
            <span class="actxsmall"><font color="666666"><b><span style='font-size: 11px;'>Maternity Shop</span></font></span>
            </a>
            &nbsp;<font size=1>></font> </b> &nbsp;

is pretty bad to be honest and needs sorting out, it is your breadcrumb trail. There are 2 errant tags doing nothing, highlighted them in red.

Comment

Do all of those changes and then upload it again and see where that gets you to, should be close if not sorted out. Items can sometimes appear in random places because of bad code, however as Peter points out, this one is solely because it wasn't sitting anywhere defined. I'd still recommend a code clean up, managing the pages, SEO and load times will all benefit. Plus we will also if trying to help

Comment

Originally posted by pht
                Hi

The line 'Other items you might like' is sandwiched between a </tr> and a new table, therefor the browser dosn't know where to put it.

The line needs putting into a new table cell in a new row, just above the additional items row.

Your code:

<hr noshade>

</td>

</tr>
                <font size=3 align=center color="#2f7790"><b>Other items you might like</b></font><br /><br/>

Should be:

<hr noshade>

</td>

</tr>
                <tr>
                <td><font size=3 align=center color="#2f7790"><b>Other items you might like</b></font>
                </td>
                </tr>

thanks Peter
                Trouble is, that's all part and parcel of my "related products layout" and that fact that it's been split across the page means I must have errant (or missing) tags elsewhere.

I can actually see the problem in the "view source" html!
                I just don't know how to fix it in the actual layout
                Tracey

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
                  This part (about 50 lines down):

<span class="actxsmall"><font color="666666">Budget Bumps</span></a> </font> </strong>&nbsp;<font size=1><b>></b></font>&nbsp;
                  <a href="Maternity.html" target="_self">
                  <span class="actxsmall"><font color="666666"><b><span style='font-size: 11px;'>Maternity Shop</span></font></span>
                  </a>
                  &nbsp;<font size=1>></font> </b> &nbsp;

is pretty bad to be honest and needs sorting out, it is your breadcrumb trail. There are 2 errant tags doing nothing, highlighted them in red.
                  Weird...it doesnt look like that here!
                  Anyway, I agree it was messy (did I mention html aint my thing? LOL) so I've cleaned it up a bit, I think

Also deleted the extra </tr> and </td> but it didn't do anything!
                  I'll re-upload and have another look (20-30 mins probably for upload as I've editted my breadcrumb trail so it's gonna do eeeeeeevery page )

It's frustrating...because I'm looking at the layout thinking it must be so damned obvious what's wrong....just not to me
                  Tracey

Comment

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh

did it

hang fire...lol

I'll just check it and report back!
                    Tracey

Comment

/me goes purple holding breath

Comment

As a quick fix to the initial problem you could add another row into the top of the table that lays out the additional items, rather than a row in the table that contains the additional items table - if you know what I mean.

eg

</td>

</tr>
                        <table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2">
                        <tr>
                        </td>
                        </tr>

<tr><td class="dotted_outline_blue" valign="top" width="33%" height="300">

But, as Lee points out your html throughout the site / page is pretty tatty and needs a proper cleaning up.

Will be happy to help out if needs be.

Comment

Originally posted by gabrielcrowe
                          /me goes purple holding breath
                          LOL Gabe...you need CPR now?

ok...firstly, I know my code is shite... I'm improving but for now I go with what works and tidy it up as I can see the problems...IYSWIM
                          I am working on it though... but it is kinda like asking me to bake a cake without giving me any sort of recipe... end result counts first...method/recipe comes with practise!

but anyway..fixed the problem by shifting a table. Well, I added a </table> before the related products layout (it was way down the bottom of the layout) and then removed some (well, actually a LOT of) stray/excess tags

I'll upload just this one in a minute (so cue long upload!) and then see what affect it has on the rest of the site upload process when I've checked it works online first

Thanks for everyone's helps (and sorry for the blue face, Gabe )
                          Tracey

Comment

Do offline previews and paste the URLS into IE/FF to check, much quicker to check than upload.

Comment

table
                              Nuff said...

Comment

Working...
                              X