Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Showing only the top level section list on menu

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help. I have a number of sections each with multiple sub sections and within the smart theme these all appear on the menu.

I have looked in the documentation to try to make it just list the top level and not the sub sections but I cannot get it to work with the smart theme.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Julie

There is a variable for just that called top level section list. If you put that variable in place of what you currently have, you will have things exactly as you want them. The style of the menu can then be changed in site options also (top level section list). Get rid of that yahoo junk, spawn of satan that is.

Comment

top level section list
      I seem to remember that top level section list does not work in all themes so tread carefully - IMO the newer V8 themes are far better.

Comment

Really, i never knew that, what on earth stops it then? If there was ever an excuse to move off the smart theme, this was it then.

Comment

Really, i never knew that, what on earth stops it then?
          It was the case in V7 and I never quite got to the bottom of it - just one of those things. Ive never tried it in V8 so it will be interesting to see if its still the case. Best seller was another that had problems but my memory is fading away about V7.

Comment

If it does not work then it's gonna be blockif's

there is a thread here somewhere that excludes sections from the menu but still shows them in the sitemap. I use it on one of my sites, works really well

D

Comment

Darren thanks for that. I am really new to actinic so please could explain this in idiot terms so that I can understand!

Comment

OK Tracey is your girl for this and im sure she will be along soon

But you need to put something like this in
                Code:
                <actinic:variable name="SectionName" /> !="Your Section Title"
                wrapped in a block statement

This needs to go into you page layouts, this thread here should point you in the right direction http://community.actinic.com/showthr...t=32231&page=2 worth reading it all but the bit in question is on page 2

D

Comment

that'd be a very long-winded solution, tbh and probably not very effective either
                  I suppose it'd work but it'd be high maintenance

The top level section list is a much better option (assuming it works, of course )
                  Tracey

Comment

Told you Tracey would be along soon

I was only offering a solution to Lee & Malcolms debate as to it not working the correct way.

Anyway miss bumps, its not that long winded - i cheat, i have a text file that has all the sections in it then i copy and past the whole lot into one nice big fat blockif, then if i need to add another section i just add it to my text file and overwrite the old one. cant be doing with re-writing all that stuff, mind it would be a lot bloody easier if actinic did not then convert all them lovely coloured titles to a load of garbage.

D

Comment

Originally posted by Darren B
                      Told you Tracey would be along soon

I was only offering a solution to Lee & Malcolms debate as to it not working the correct way.

Anyway miss bumps, its not that long winded - i cheat, i have a text file that has all the sections in it then i copy and past the whole lot into one nice big fat blockif, then if i need to add another section i just add it to my text file and overwrite the old one. cant be doing with re-writing all that stuff, mind it would be a lot bloody easier if actinic did not then convert all them lovely coloured titles to a load of garbage.

D
                      agreed about the garbage!

it's remembering to add new sections etc to it that would be a pain though.
                      I agree it's effective, but I'm sure there must be a better solution out there.
                      Tracey

Comment

It was your fault i do it, you steered me down that road , and i know how much you like blockif's these days

All in the name of SPP's for google and those that like them

D

Comment

Originally posted by Darren B
                          i know how much you like blockif's these days
                          it's greeeeeeeen...just being environmentally friendly, ya know

and yeh, my layouts are pretty full of blockifs...they are my new best friend (sorry D lol)
                          Tracey

Comment

Green very good, i like that one

Anyway i thought you were going home

D

Comment

Working...
                            X