Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding Product Level Variables to Cart

Hey folks,

I'm trying to add a custom product level variable to my shopping cart but can't for the life of me figure it out... I thought the process may be similar to adding thumbnail images to the cart but I don't understand what the Actinic:REMOVE things are or how they work?

Anyone got any clues on how this is done? I've searched the forums for answers but I can't seem to find anything...

Thank You!
    Mark

The tags Actinic:REMOVE are put around certain pieces of code so the software will show or hide those pieces of code.
    Peblaco

Comment

Peblaco, thank you for your speedy reply and the remove explanation... would I be right in saying they are a kind of higher level block if?

To answer your question, I have an extra variable on each of my products which contains an internal product reference for our sales team, it would also link certain products together in the cart by having it visible. It's all down to a system I'm not exactly keen on but have to cater to, unfortunately...
      Mark

Comment

It's kind of a blockif and V7 also had them. If it's a variable that has to pass to the cart you might be having to change Perl scripts.
        Peblaco

Comment

You have to check the Upload option in the variables definition. That makes it available to the Perl Cart scripts.

However being "available" doesn't mean you can use it. You then have to do significant customisation to ActionicOrder.pm and OrderScript.pl if you want this info displayed, be part of the customer email and printed to the order.

I may have posted regarding doing this so try searching.
          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Perl editing... that sounds... fun! Thank you for the information guys. I shall try searching for Uploading Variables, I didn't think of trying that earlier, thanks!

Found THIS thread with some better search criteria, seems like a good place to start! Ta very much.
            Last edited by markHPP; 06-Nov-2007, 01:37 PM. Reason: Found a trail to follow
            Mark

Comment

If you want something that only appears on the printed reports then you could use the built-in Report Description tab. You have to enable this first. See the Help for details.

Comment

Hello! Sorry I never got back to you guys, I actually got taken off the project for a short time but thank you for all of your help! Just an update of how I went about the problem, really...

In the end I looked at the issue from another perspective, my cart wasn't wrong, my product pages were wrong. So I used the Short Description field to include all of the information I wanted in the cart and used another variable for the information I wanted on my product page. It isn't the cleanest solution but it does the trick for me and best of all, no tinkering with PERL!
                Mark

Comment

Originally posted by markHPP
                  Hello! Sorry I never got back to you guys, I actually got taken off the project for a short time but thank you for all of your help! Just an update of how I went about the problem, really...

In the end I looked at the issue from another perspective, my cart wasn't wrong, my product pages were wrong. So I used the Short Description field to include all of the information I wanted in the cart and used another variable for the information I wanted on my product page. It isn't the cleanest solution but it does the trick for me and best of all, no tinkering with PERL!
                  It's the simplest solution really and one that often gets recommended!
                  Tracey

Comment

yeah! thats for sure. Simple is always best no doubt that would have been recommended to me if I had made myself clear from the start. My bad.
                    Mark

Comment

Originally posted by NormanRouxel
                      You have to check the Upload option in the variables definition. That makes it available to the Perl Cart scripts.

However being "available" doesn't mean you can use it. You then have to do significant customisation to ActionicOrder.pm and OrderScript.pl if you want this info displayed, be part of the customer email and printed to the order.

I may have posted regarding doing this so try searching.
                      I've searched for "upload box" and "upload checkbox" and niether give results so I wondered can you give me a shove in the right direction.

You mentioned that edits were needed in ActinicOrder.pm and OrderScript.pl before they would be available. I am fairly familiar with perl so a quick pointer should be sufficient.

Looking at one of your old posts Norman I think that this might be the key to getting the variable to display in the template as NETQUOTEVAR:VARIABLENAME.

Code:
                      $::s_VariableTable{$::VARPREFIX.'VARIABLENAME'} = $$pProduct{"CUSTOMVARS"}{'Variablename'};
                      However I'm thinking that scope might be a bit of an issue - the variable will have a different value depending where called so presumably you need to add the above to several different places within the orderscript depending on the scope that you're after.

Or is scope handled by the name of the hash? ie the scope for product is $$pProduct and the scope for section is $$pSection or some other naming scheme, if this was the case; values for each of the products would still be different at different points in the code. Therefore I would still need to find where to put the call.

Let me know if I'm on the right track.

Thanks in advance
                      Wayne Theisinger

The Web's just settling in. We got the tech, now let's put up something that matters.

Comment

I'm on holiday (in the Canary Islands) until after Christmas and don't have the time available to provide what you need. It would take rather a lot of time to describe what's needed. I usually only expend that much effort when commissioned to do something.

Comment

Working...
                        X