Structuring an Artinic Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Structuring an Artinic Project

As a complete novice here (see previous posts!), I am beginning to understand the power & flexibility of Actinic. Slower, unfortunately, than I would like.

I have not been able to find any guidance anywhere on how best to structure a project, particularly where significant changes are made to layouts & variables.

1. Should I always copy a Layout and give it my own name before changing its content?

2. What happens when an Update is released? Presumably, Layout contents might change and user mods have to be re-applied?

1. I think that used to be the preferred method, but with 'revert' facility and also the 'compare' facility, i don't think it is so important now. If you are going to be tweaking an existing tweaked layout, then i would always do that on a copy of the existing.

2. It should upgrade through the versions without problems.

Your best place to learn is to read the posts on the forum regularly, you can pick up so much free information. You need to keep in touch though so you don't miss anything and at some stage, join in and give some help back.

Comment

It would also depend on your own project remit.

In additional to the 'safe practice' pointed out above, if you are using a totally external design, ensure you fully understand who does what within actinic (namely the key variables and what function they perform).

If you start cutting and ripping and do not add certain variables, your store will flop and not operate (a good example is the onload function...)

In hindsight, that would actually be good practice for any project IMHO

Enjoy.
      Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
      Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

Working...
      X