different layouts in extended info pages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

different layouts in extended info pages

For our store the extended info pages open in the same window with the text to the right of the image. For some categories - with larger images - we'd like to have the the text beneath the images (these are larger images and the text is getting a bit too scrunched up in smaller screens). I've clicked on the "extended info page design" and changed it to "Name and info text displayed below image" but nothings happening - still same layout.

Am I missing something?

Cheers

where have you changed it?
    At section level or at product level?
    If you've changed it at section level, check that your products don't have a different layout set manually, as opposed to the "use parent" option which you may want to use if you've made the change at section level.

I hope that made sense!
    Tracey

Comment

Hi Tracey

Set it in the section layout. The products are set as
      Extended info page design - "Includes add to cart button"
      Type of extended information page - "opens in the same window"

Comment

Originally posted by paulie555
        Hi Tracey

Set it in the section layout. The products are set as
        Extended info page design - "Includes add to cart button"
        Type of extended information page - "opens in the same window"
        right, well there's you problem then!
        The "includes add to cart button" layout is a totally different layout to "name and info below image"

You will need to make a copy of the "includes add to cart button" layout and give the look you want for the products you want displaying with text below the image.
        Tracey

Comment

Originally posted by budgetbumps
          You will need to make a copy of the "includes add to cart button" layout and give the look you want for the products you want displaying with text below the image.
          Not sure I follow you. Make a copy?

Sorry to be a pain.

Comment

ok, bear with me, explanations like these are Louise's forté, not mine LOL

you can't just edit the "includes add to cart button" layout because any changes you make to it would change ALL the extended info pages on your website.
            So you need a second layout for the pages where you want the text to show below the image.

So, go to Design > Library > Extended information Layouts and right click on the "Includes add to cart button" layout in the list.
            Choose "copy" and name it whatever you like.

Now, open the NEW layout (be careful, your highlight will still be on the original one) and edit the code inside it to give you your desired look.
            Then select this second layout (at product level) for the extended info pages that need this text below image.

I'm assuming you know how to edit the layout itself. If you don't, I'm sure you'll be back
            Last edited by TraceyHand; 27-Nov-2007, 05:33 PM. Reason: crappy punctuation!
            Tracey

Comment

Thanks Tracey, easy when you know how.

Comment

I'll just revive this thread as it helped me greatly but I need a bit more.

I wanted my text below the pic so I sorted that out but I'd also like to have the Add To Cart button in the pop up as well but if I select that it defaults back to have the text on the right.

Any way around this or is that the only choice?

Thanks in advance!

Malc
                http://www.kultya.com

Comment

Hi,

You will have to edit the layout to display the cart button where you would like it to appear. If you look in 'Design | Library | Extended Info Layout' you should be able to see the layout, make a copy of it and then edit it to suit your requirement. You can then select this new template to use for the pop-up page.

Kind regards,
                  Bruce King
                  SellerDeck

Comment

Is it possible to instead of a pop up or new window simply have the extended info page open in the same window and use the sites normal layout so it would basically work as if you had created a new sub section and added 1 product per section?

Comment

The Extended Information Page has an option of "Opens in Same Window" instead of Popup.

Just add your template html before and after the Extended Information text, so that it looks like a normal section page.

Discussed before either on this forum or the AUG.
                      Sam
                      http://www.originaltouch.co.uk
                      http://www.spcb.co.uk

If you spend your whole life waiting for the storm, you’ll never enjoy the sunshine.

Failure is the tuition you pay for success.

Comment

Have a look at the standard options that actinic provides you with, this is standard functionality. Have a look in settings | site options, have a look for an aptly named tab.

Comment

thanks for your help, after months of cursing why can't i have seperate pages per product and the solution was there all along albeit not obvious and not ideal as you have to create the google base file manually and can't do things like add fragments to the extended info pages but it's a start

Comment

not ideal as you have to create the google base file manually and can't do things like add fragments to the extended info pages
                            Exactly the reasons you should not be doing it - using ext info in this way is madness IMO. There are far better ways - all on the forum

Comment

Working...
                            X