Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Putting any character in the "prompt" field "permanently"

Hello!

I have a prompt field with each product, but sometimes it's not necessary for the purchaser to enter information in it, but because it's a "mandatory" field the purchaser cannot add the product to the cart unless something is in the field.

When I've updated the website, I open each of the .html pages (in the Site HTML folder) with products and prompt fields on it and use notepad to replace [value=""] with [value="*"] so if the purchaser doesn't want to enter anything in the prompt field they can still add it to the cart.

It's a bit time consuming so I was wondering if there is a way to have the asterisk entered in the [value="*"] PERMANENTLY?

I'm not very clued up so if there is a fix, can you kindly advise me on an "idiot's" level so I can understand.

Kind thanks...

Lets assume you use the same product layout for all your products.

If so, find out the name of the one that's you use (click a product and look in Product Details / Layout / Product / Product Layout). Note what you see.

Now go to Design / Library / Layouts / Products / <the layout you're using>.

Right-click it and choose Copy.

Rename that layout to be "<the layout you're using> - Optional Info".

Double-click that layout and look for
    Code:
    <input type="text" name="O_<actinic:variable Name="ProductID"/>" size="40" maxlength="1000" value="" />
    amend it to read
    Code:
    <input type="text" name="O_<actinic:variable Name="ProductID"/>" size="40" maxlength="1000" value="*" />
    Now you can select these optional prompt products use the new layout (via Product Details / Layout / Product / Product Layout).
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Putting a character in a mandatory field

Hello again!

I'm extremely grateful for your kindness and generosity of help. I achieved the result via your instructions, so a BIG thanks very much indeed.

Toodle Pip...
      Dixie

Comment

Working...
      X