css mouseover text links not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

css mouseover text links not working

Just wondering if anyone can see a blatantly obvious fault that causing the error I am now having. Please bear with me, but I've been searching for hours for the solution.
    Just rejigged the site template at www.spcb.co.uk following advice from the forum.
    Before, the navigation links were working fine - ie change on hover = underline. They are still working in the Actinic Page Preview as well as Offline Page Preview.
    However, not working online when uploaded - all hyperlinks are underlined at the start, rather than being underlined on hover.

Just in case this has any relevance: Template designed in DW with a css.css (using a:hover for divs).
    Now when view template in DW via Actinic, this css.css does not seem to be linked (unless this is usual when using Actinic?)
    V7 threads make reference to actinic.css, so how can I check which css file my template is linking to?
    Sam
    http://www.originaltouch.co.uk
    http://www.spcb.co.uk

If you spend your whole life waiting for the storm, you’ll never enjoy the sunshine.

Failure is the tuition you pay for success.

Originally posted by OriginalTouch
    Just wondering if anyone can see a blatantly obvious fault that causing the error I am now having. Please bear with me, but I've been searching for hours for the solution.
    Just rejigged the site template at www.spcb.co.uk following advice from the forum.
    Before, the navigation links were working fine - ie change on hover = underline. They are still working in the Actinic Page Preview as well as Offline Page Preview.
    However, not working online when uploaded - all hyperlinks are underlined at the start, rather than being underlined on hover.

Just in case this has any relevance: Template designed in DW with a css.css (using a:hover for divs).
    Now when view template in DW via Actinic, this css.css does not seem to be linked (unless this is usual when using Actinic?)
    V7 threads make reference to actinic.css, but this doesn't seem to be in V8 site1 folder?
    (added: so how can I check which css file my template is linking to?)
    Hi Sam,

If you check your site with Firefox, you will see that there are two css files which have not been uploaded. You need to save the files in the site folder for them to be uploaded with your site.

As you are designing with Dreamweaver, you would be better defining the site and using the Actinic site folder as your local root folder.

hth,

David
    -----------------------------
    www.synchronisedwebdesign.com

Comment

Originally posted by OriginalTouch
      I've been searching for hours for the solution.
      If you've really been searching for that long you must have come across numberous mentions of firefox and the firebug plugin to help decipher code and see styles being applied. Download it and try it, that's what most designers use.

The actinic.css is also known as the 'Actinic Stylesheet' available in the drop down box on the design tab, makes sure you change things in the bottom window if indeed you try and change anything.

When i see you write '(using a:hover for divs)', i think you are either very bad at explaining what you have done or you have no idea what you are doing. Be careful in the stylesheet, a little knowledge is very dangerous. Actinic as standard styles your links in the advanced theme config, there is often little need to apply your own styling to anchor tags. Get yourself back to standard and start your changes again is probably your best bet.

Comment

thank you lots!

Great you both helped a great deal and the problem is solved!

1. Had already downloaded Firebug so used this to confirm that the .css files were not visible.

2. the css files were uploaded via ftp with the last website but not in the right actinic folder, so added them to the additional files to be uploaded.

3. Yes, a little knowledge can be a bad thing, I agree... DW was only used to transfer the old site template into Actinic as a starting point, so as not to have to start completely from scratch. Sometimes, that causes more hassle than just starting in Actinic in the first place!

Thanks - I stand completely corrected. And can now get some restful sleep!!!
        Sam
        http://www.originaltouch.co.uk
        http://www.spcb.co.uk

If you spend your whole life waiting for the storm, you’ll never enjoy the sunshine.

Failure is the tuition you pay for success.

Comment

Working...
        X