top level section list breaks css

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

top level section list breaks css

i have a sliding doors css menu bar, works fine when the (class="current") is applied to any given <li> tag in the list.

what i have tried to do is use said menu to display top level section links.
    i made a new top level section list, a copy of with horizontal dividers one, and stripped every thing out exept:

first rows:not used
    middle rows : dynamic
    last row: not used

then before first row: <ul class="menu1"><li> after: </li>
    then before middle row: < li> after: </li>
    then before last row: <li> after: </li></ul>

should this not produce exactly the same as the hardcoded ver:

<ul class="menu1">
    <li><a href="#nogo"><b>Home</b></a></li>
    <li class="current"><a href="#nogo"><b>Privacy Policy</b></a></li>
    <li><a href="#nogo"><b>Products</b></a></li>
    <li><a href="#nogo"><b>Where to find us</b></a></li>
    <li><a href="#nogo"><b>Contact us</b></a></li>
    <li><a href="#nogo"><b>Search</b></a></li>
    </ul>

with the hrefs and text being replaced with the relevent section info.

i know about blocking pages not in site map etc.. but the bare bones still does not seem to work.
    Simbo thanks you in advance again

I don't know Gary, this web design lark isn't all it looks to be huh. One day we got copyright issues, then we find out our site doesn't work across browsers and the next day our unordered lists won't play ball....sigh. Get out now why you've got chance, it's a blackhole you can't get out of.

Looks to me like are you telling it not to use first or last rows, but then expecting it to do so? As ever a URL or perhaps the CSS you have created would help to find the problem. What is contained in your current class that isn't in your other?

Comment

this web design lark isn't all it looks to be huh
      It was easier when everyone told you what to do

Comment

yup lee its tuff

url courtiously taken down,re earlier post..

css:

.menu1 {padding:0 0 0 32px; margin:0; list-style:none; height:35px; background:#fff url('button1.gif'); position:relative; border:1px solid #000; border-width:0 1px; }
        .menu1 li {float:left;}
        .menu1 li a {display:block; float:left; height:35px; line-height:35px; color:#fff; text-decoration:none; font-size:11px; font-family:arial, verdana, sans-serif; font-weight:bold; text-align:center; padding:0 0 0 8px; cursorointer;}
        .menu1 li a b {float:left; display:block; padding:0 16px 0 8px;}
        .menu1 li.current a {color:#fff; background:url('button3.gif');}
        .menu1 li.current a b {background:url('button3.gif') no-repeat right top;}
        .menu1 li a:hover {color:#fff; background:#000 url('button2.gif');}
        .menu1 li a:hover b {background:url('button2.gif') no-repeat right top;}
        .menu1 li.current a:hover {color:#fff; background:#000 url('button3.gif'); cursor:default;}
        .menu1 li.current a:hover b {background:url('button3.gif') no-repeat right top;}

you rightly spoted in first post i have used the term before and after rows,
        when i should have said items,
        im def not using first and last rows.

Comment

hours of looking at this

common sense says the unordered list i have created, should render the same as the hard coded version,

further tests have revieled that even in the hard coded ver, the addition of a blockif class /block to the <li> tag breaks the css some comes through not all.

the strangest thing is that chris d's code for highlighting current top level section in the list, was the block used and it keep class of the same <li> tag current no matter which section your in..

bonkers..!!

would just have to tell client they would have to have sections on the left... long slow farther christmas style lol....

Comment

Lists generally work on the middle row in the matrix as you have set up. I would try moving the <ul> & </ul> into the first tab for start / end of list accordingly.

An output of the actual code would be handy and not what it should read.

As this is for the top level brochure navigation why not just hard code it as you do not need a dynamic list to create the static navigation?

Bikster
            SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Working...
            X