Extended Info Pages & SEO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fergusw
    The only sure fire way to address this is to reduce the file size of the page itself. i.e. optimise images, optimise HTML etc.

If this is a main issue for you then perhaps you might be better revisiting the "10 products per page" using different sub-section pages after all. Then you may want to look at using Actinic BlockIf contditions to control the issue you have with your menu depth levels.
    or, if depths are erratic, introduce a new true/false custom variable at section level for "show in side menu" and use a block if to hide those set to false.
    This will mean you can hide subsections whatever level they are at.
    Tracey

Comment

Originally posted by budgetbumps
      or, if depths are erratic, introduce a new true/false custom variable at section level for "show in side menu" and use a block if to hide those set to false.
      This will mean you can hide subsections whatever level they are at.
      Thats what I was meaning when I said
      Then you may want to look at using Actinic BlockIf contditions to control the issue you have with your menu depth levels.

just explained better by Miss Bumps!
      Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
      Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
      SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

right, sorry...yeh, you did
        wasn't meaning to contradict or make out you were being tight with your information or anything
        Tracey

Comment

Glory seeker
          Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
          Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
          SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

Back to the original article. I posted how to make the popup links spiderable on http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=5145 but this was way back in V6 days.

The technique will still work in V8 but you now need to tweak the Layouts.

E.g. in Standard Product Image you have
            Code:
            <a href="javascript:ShowPopUp('<actinic:variable name=ExtendedInfoPageEncoded />',<actinic:variable name="ExtInfoWindowWidth" />,<actinic:variable name="ExtInfoWindowHeight" />);">
            if this is changed to
            Code:
            <a href="<actinic:variable name=ExtendedInfoPageEncoded />" onclick="ShowPopUp(this.href,<actinic:variable name="ExtInfoWindowWidth" />,<actinic:variable name="ExtInfoWindowHeight" />);return false;">
            then spiders see a nice followable link but the page actually opens via the JavaScript popup.
            Norman - www.drillpine.biz
            Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Originally posted by NormanRouxel
              Back to the original article. I posted how to make the popup links spiderable on http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=5145 but this was way back in V6 days.

The technique will still work in V8 but you now need to tweak the Layouts.

E.g. in Standard Product Image you have
              Code:
              <a href="javascript:ShowPopUp('<actinic:variable name=ExtendedInfoPageEncoded />',<actinic:variable name="ExtInfoWindowWidth" />,<actinic:variable name="ExtInfoWindowHeight" />);">
              if this is changed to
              Code:
              <a href="<actinic:variable name=ExtendedInfoPageEncoded />" onclick="ShowPopUp(this.href,<actinic:variable name="ExtInfoWindowWidth" />,<actinic:variable name="ExtInfoWindowHeight" />);return false;">
              then spiders see a nice followable link but the page actually opens via the JavaScript popup.
              Thanks for that Norman - I'll give it a go.

Does this method cause any problems with the search engine rules?

Also is there any way to give each extended info page it's own name and meta tags to make the page that the spiders find a little more interesting?

Thanks

David

Comment

Does this method cause any problems with the search engine rules?
                I shouldn't think so. It's a valid link and the page is there.
                Also is there any way to give each extended info page it's own name and meta tags to make the page that the spiders find a little more interesting?
                You could create new Variables for these items and use these in the Extended Info layout(s).

Maybe also add a Condition so that if your Variables are empty, the default Actinic ones are used.

Comment

You could create new Variables for these items and use these in the Extended Info layout(s).

Maybe also add a Condition so that if your Variables are empty, the default Actinic ones are used.
                  I know its asking a lot but could you give me an example of how to do this?

Thanks

David

Comment

I know its asking a lot but could you give me an example of how to do this - i'm familiar with creating and using new variables for general product info but not so hot with using them within the page design?

Thanks

David

Comment

Create Variable. Look in Extended Info layout. Replace existing Actinic variable with yours. Read Help / Starter Guide page 81.

Comment

Create Variable. Look in Extended Info layout. Replace existing Actinic variable with yours. Read Help / Starter Guide page 81.
                        Thanks Norman,

I've already implemented your link suggestion and replaced the page title link with the product name variable.

I'll have a look at creating a meta tag variable and inserting it in the layout.

Thanks again for your help.

David

Comment

Working...
                        X