X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by webD View Post
    Hmmmm, that's interesting...

Have you uploaded at all?

I hadn't thought that you were being ignorant. It's often easy to miss things (I do it a lot!) and as it works for me I'd assumed you hadn;t seem it. No apology necessary.
    Good good I have uploaded, but no joy. And of course, restarted Actinic a few times for good measure!

Originally posted by TraceyHand View Post
    have you made sure you're making changes on both the brochure AND catalog homepage, if you're using both to display the menu?
    Now you've lost me!
    Need a barcode label or card printer? Look no further than OnlyZebra.

Thinking about barcode scanning and whether it could improve your business' efficiency? We can offer a range of products from numerous manufacturers. OnlyAML, OnlyIntermec, OnlyLXE, OnlyOpticon & OnlyPsion or OnlyRugged, the one stop shop for all your needs.

Comment

have you made sure you're making changes on both the brochure AND catalog homepage, if you're using both to display the menu?
      Aaaahhhhhh....

Good job your here to over see me Bumpsy...

Click on the home page in the content tree and make the change. Now, click on a brochure page and make sure the change has propergated through. You may be using different layouts...

What's the URL?

Army Gore-tex
      Winter Climbing Mitts
      webD's Blog: Website design, SEO and other ramblings…
      Twitter LinkedIN

If you think a post is good, rate it!

Find the answers in the Knowledge Base | Have you read the User Guides

Comment

Aaaahhhhhh....

Good job your here to over see me Bumpsy...

Click on the home page in the content tree and make the change. Now, click on a brochure page and make sure the change has propergated through. You may be using different layouts...

What's the URL?
        Yep, MakeNav(0,1,1,0) showing on the home page and in brochure pages...

Deja vu but the site's only hosted locally atm...

Thinking about barcode scanning and whether it could improve your business' efficiency? We can offer a range of products from numerous manufacturers. OnlyAML, OnlyIntermec, OnlyLXE, OnlyOpticon & OnlyPsion or OnlyRugged, the one stop shop for all your needs.

Comment

Read through post #28 by Gabe.

He goes into detail about the changes that can be made in this area. He also points out that Actinic does not preview this well.

It may be the case that online it will look fine...

Army Gore-tex
          Winter Climbing Mitts
          webD's Blog: Website design, SEO and other ramblings…
          Twitter LinkedIN

If you think a post is good, rate it!

Find the answers in the Knowledge Base | Have you read the User Guides

Comment

Read through post #28 by Gabe.

He goes into detail about the changes that can be made in this area. He also points out that Actinic does not preview this well.

It may be the case that online it will look fine...
            Argh, this is so annoying!

In the Preview pane it's displaying as it should, but not when I view online.

Think I may give it up for today and try again tomorrow... sometimes better with fresh eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by NicNac View Post
              In the Preview pane it's displaying as it should, but not when I view online.
              That could be a css problem. Where are you coding the style for the menu, if the styling is in a separate css file are you including this in the additional files list so it gets uploaded.

Another possibility is a css style conflict, the inbuilt preview does not always get this right. I recently spent several hours trying to find out why the preview was OK but the site did not work correctly, I solved it by using the offline preview together with firebug and firefox.

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
              SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
              Custom Packages

Comment

Originally posted by malbro View Post
                That could be a css problem. Where are you coding the style for the menu, if the styling is in a separate css file are you including this in the additional files list so it gets uploaded.

Another possibility is a css style conflict, the inbuilt preview does not always get this right. I recently spent several hours trying to find out why the preview was OK but the site did not work correctly, I solved it by using the offline preview together with firebug and firefox.
                I think I'm going to tear my hair out on this one, come back to it this morning to find it's now not working at all!

I placed the contents of the 'phpnav-styles.css' files at the end of my actinic.css...

My blocks are there, my snippet is in the library, the selector is at the top of my design tree (well, underneath the 'Works Best with Executive' header) the css is in the file, why isn't it working!

Comment

I think I'm going to tear my hair out on this one, come back to it this morning to find it's now not working at all!

I placed the contents of the 'phpnav-styles.css' files at the end of my actinic.css...

My blocks are there, my snippet is in the library, the selector is at the top of my design tree (well, underneath the 'Works Best with Executive' header) the css is in the file, why isn't it working!
                  Very difficult to help without a live page to look at, can you be more precise on what is not working, presumably you are getting the menu displayed perhaps a screen shot and a copy of the page source taken from a browser would help to sort your problem.

I see you are on 8.5.1 an upgrade to 8.5.3 may also help as this is the most stable version and the one I used which worked first time.

Malcolm

Custom Packages

Comment

Very difficult to help without a live page to look at, can you be more precise on what is not working, presumably you are getting the menu displayed perhaps a screen shot and a copy of the page source taken from a browser would help to sort your problem.

I see you are on 8.5.1 an upgrade to 8.5.3 may also help as this is the most stable version and the one I used which worked first time.
                    I'll try my best to explain!

On the initial page, all sections are showing as expanded, showing all the sub sections below. This obviously makes the nav quite large, meaning users would have to scroll down to view the whole menu - not ideal. See screenshot1.

However, if I click on any of the section or sub section headings, the nav changes to show just the section headings - with no sub sections underneath. Much more like it, but the sub sections don't expand out when I click the section header - it just takes me to the section page. See screenshot2.

I've also attached the PageSource, in case it'll help.

And yes, I'm on 8.5.1... This will sound reallllly newbie, but I've found the Actinic download site, and downloaded the 8.5.3. upgrade exe, do I need to upgrade to 8.5.2 first, or not?

Thanks so much for all your support so far
                    Attached Files

Comment

can I make a suggestion that you attached the screenshots individually?
                      People will be reluctant to open a .zip file, even with the best intentions
                      Tracey

Comment

can I make a suggestion that you attached the screenshots individually?
                        People will be reluctant to open a .zip file, even with the best intentions
                        Ah, of course, just as jpgs they were too big, I'll resize them...
                        Attached Files

Comment

And yes, I'm on 8.5.1... This will sound reallllly newbie, but I've found the Actinic download site, and downloaded the 8.5.3. upgrade exe, do I need to upgrade to 8.5.2 first, or not?
                          No go straight to 8.5.3, make sure you take a snapshot of your site first.

The way the code works is that it produces a menu list on each page of the site, the list is produced in its expanded form (depending on the settings in the makenav command).

If you are expecting the menus to open and close whilst staying on one page then the menu system on its own will not do that. You will need to integrate a javascript to do this for you which is what I did on my testsite and the main site www.toddesigns.co.uk. You can get lots of menu systems from the Dynamic Drive web site, most of it is freebies, or use the fsmenu from DoubleHelix.com (and make a donation) which is the basis of the work I did.

If you do not want to get into coding with javascript then you can buy a complete menu system from drillpine.biz, I purchased the collapso menu for www.fiddlesticksdevon.co.uk and it is a breeze to install as Norman has done all the hard work.

Malcolm

Custom Packages

Comment

No go straight to 8.5.3, make sure you take a snapshot of your site first.

The way the code works is that it produces a menu list on each page of the site, the list is produced in its expanded form (depending on the settings in the makenav command).

If you are expecting the menus to open and close whilst staying on one page then the menu system on its own will not do that. You will need to integrate a javascript to do this for you which is what I did on my testsite and the main site www.toddesigns.co.uk. You can get lots of menu systems from the Dynamic Drive web site, most of it is freebies, or use the fsmenu from DoubleHelix.com (and make a donation) which is the basis of the work I did.

If you do not want to get into coding with javascript then you can buy a complete menu system from drillpine.biz, I purchased the collapso menu for www.fiddlesticksdevon.co.uk and it is a breeze to install as Norman has done all the hard work.
                            Thanks for the help and advice mal, and everyone who's put up with me on this thread!

One thing that puzzles me though, is if this code doesn't do that, why does it work on webD's site (post #98) when he didn't change it?

Damn, just realised all subsections are showing on webD's home page, d'oh! Well, still, only the current subsections are shown once you go into them, mine's not even doing that at the moment!

Comment

Thanks for the help and advice mal, and everyone who's put up with me on this thread!

One thing that puzzles me though, is if this code doesn't do that, why does it work on webD's site (post #98) when he didn't change it?

Damn, just realised all subsections are showing on webD's home page, d'oh! Well, still, only the current subsections are shown once you go into them, mine's not even doing that at the moment!
                              It is all down to the settings in the call to makenav, gabe gave a long explanation earlier in this thread, for section pages you normally use
                              Code:
                              <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22SectionLevel%22%20%2f%3e%20%3e%200">
                              			<actinic:block php="true" > MakeNav(0,2,0,<actinic:variable name="SectionID" />); </actinic:block>
                              		</actinic:block>
                              The Actinic variable sectionId passed as a parameter means that only the current section will be expanded.

This gives the effect of a menu that opens and closes but in reality it is just a different menu on each page.

Malcolm

Custom Packages

Comment

It is all down to the settings in the call to makenav, gabe gave a long explanation earlier in this thread, for section pages you normally use
                                Code:
                                <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22SectionLevel%22%20%2f%3e%20%3e%200">
                                			<actinic:block php="true" > MakeNav(0,2,0,<actinic:variable name="SectionID" />); </actinic:block>
                                		</actinic:block>
                                The Actinic variable sectionId passed as a parameter means that only the current section will be expanded.

This gives the effect of a menu that opens and closes but in reality it is just a different menu on each page.
                                Yes, that fixed it, thanks Mal!

Comment

Working...
                                X