Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I include sub sections in my navigation bar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I include sub sections in my navigation bar?

Hi

I've just upgraded to Actinic v9. I've used the TopLevelSectionList layout in my left navigation bar to display the top level sections within my store. I also want to include the sub sections in my section list. Is there an easy way to do this without using Javascript?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Jon

On the design tab, click in your section list to highlight the correct code area. Click the 'up a level' yellow chevron as many times as necessary till you see the purple text TopLevelSectionList displayed in the code window. Right click and choose Change Appearance, then select from the alternate layouts available.
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Thanks Bill for the quick reply but I can't find anything within the Edit Appearance page to include sub sections. The layouts just refer to how the top level sections are displayed - "in boxes", etc. Any other ideas?

Comment

ry one of norms menu systems

Comment

Thanks but I'm not sure what that means?!

Comment

I heard my name. I have several add-on menu systems for site navigation. NorList and Collapso are the most modern (and are now available for V9). See www.drillpine.biz/actinicstuff for info.
            Norman - www.drillpine.biz
            Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Originally posted by jonsurf
              Thanks Bill for the quick reply but I can't find anything within the Edit Appearance page to include sub sections. The layouts just refer to how the top level sections are displayed - "in boxes", etc. Any other ideas?
              Oops, sorry you are right. There is nothing in edit appearance for this, and the only options which include subsections are to highlight the TopLevelSectionList and right click, Insert Layout and use either the Javascript (which you don't want) or the SiteMapSectionList which would need styling to be usable.

As Mal says, you may be better off with one of Norman's excellent add ons.
              Bill
              www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
              Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
              BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
              Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
              VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
              Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

I believe this is possible without the use of Java.
                See the Advanced User Guide (in Actinic download section) and look for "Section List With Sub Sections In Bullets".

Comment

Originally posted by fleetwood
                  I believe this is possible without the use of Java.
                  See the Advanced User Guide (in Actinic download section) and look for "Section List With Sub Sections In Bullets".
                  I've tried this method on mine and I now have a very impressive looking list that makes the page about 4 times longer!

Edit: no wonder - it's listing the subsections 9 times

Comment

Whilst I have not used this on a live site, a simple test, copying the code into a blank page, did exactly what it said on the tin.

I don''t know why yours is repeating 9 times!
                    Where did you place the code?

At the end of the day, the solution might not be what you were looking for, I was just pointing out that it could be done, without java.

As suggested by others above, Norman has 2 or 3 menu systems, which are very reasonably priced, and may save you a lot of hassle.

Comment

I replaced the toplevelsectionlist layout.

Comment

In Design view, click in the sidebar, where your list is being created.
                        This should draw a dotted box around the list.
                        Now navigate to the parent layout, using the upwards yellow chevron in the bottom left of the screen.
                        Keep clicking up until you can go no further.

The code you added should be shown in the lower half of the screen (layout code), surrounded by <div> </div>

Copy and paste that block (starting with a <div> and ending with </div>) here so we can see what you have.

A URL for the site in question would be helpful too.

Comment

It's OK now. I think my mistake was to put a section link list inside a section link list. It's no coincidence that I have 9 sections.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenmind
                            a section link list inside a section link list
                            I am surprised it did not set off the red "exclamation" of doom in the coding error window doing that.. it does not usually like self-iterating lists.

Bikster
                            SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

I had the same problem of wanting to display the subsections within the navigation menu and found two fairly simple solutions:

1. Replace TopLevelSectionList with SiteMapSectionList which displays a neat <li> nav list including subsections.

2. Alternatively hard-code the menu which is a slightly backward approach but better than pulling hair out dissecting Actinic Layouts and Variables ;-

Katie.

Comment

Working...
                              X