Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Displaying Extended Information BELOW pricing

Hi,

I'd like to embed Extended Information at the bottom of each product page (below pricing and cart) rather than have the information in a pop up.

Any clues on how to achieve this??

Thanks,
    Katie

Edit your product layout and add the Extended Info variables and sub-layouts into there. You could also (for site safety) copy your product layout (right-click it in the Library and choose Copy) and tinker with the copy layout.

Then simply don't select any of the "Display By" options on the extended info tab. The variables will still be usable but there will be no popup links.
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thank you Norman for your help,

However..

No matter where I try to position the extended text within the product layout page I receive the same red-warning message and it's driving me nuts!

The 'ExtendedInfoText' variable has been placed within the product layout, it won't work there.

Well then where on the page will it work?? grrr

I'll have to resort to my previous cowboy hack of using 'Description' on the section page to display extended information at the base of the product page with an additional 'Fragment page' to fake the item description at the top of the same product page.

Hours lost on this problem, I'm suffering terribly from Actinic poisoning :<

Comment

Katie why can you not position the product description field in the right place within the product layout and just use that instead?

Comment

Lee on each product page I need to display the content in the order below and if I use product description all the information will be displayed in one block (as far as I understand).

[ product name ]
          [ product description + photo ]
          [ item 1 price ]
          [ item 2 price ]
          [ item 3 price ]
          [ addtocart ]
          [ extended (additional) product information ]

Comment

Katie,
            I just ran a quick test and can implement exactly what you require using Norman's instructions.
            I get no warning message nor any other error when putting the

<actinic:variable name="ExtendedInfoText" />

into the product layout. It works both in preview and online.
            Which version of V8/9 are you trying this on?
            Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
            Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
            SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

Works fine for me too.

Here's anothe thought. If you want to split the Product Description into two lumps, you could load it into a PHP variable, look for a delimiter (like {}) and if found only output the first lump of text. Save the remainder into a temp variable and echo it out later in the layout. I use this in my Tabber add-on.

Comment

Here's how to do that.

We'll use {} to split the Description into two parts (note that Actinic encodes this as &#38;#123;&#38;#125.
                This lump goes in the product layout where you want the prefix text. It replaces the ProductDescription variable.
                Code:
                <actinic:block php="true">
                // this block displays the prefix part of the description (or all if no {} present)
                $suffixtext = '';
                $desc = <<<ENDOFALLTEXT
                <actinic:variable name="ProductDescription" selectable="false" />
                ENDOFALLTEXT;
                if ( preg_match('/(.*?)&#38;#123;&#38;#125;(.*$)/', $desc, $bits) )	// look for {} 
                  {
                  echo $bits[1];
                  $suffixtext = $bits[2];
                  }
                else
                  {
                  echo $desc;
                  }
                </actinic:block>
                This lump goes in the product layout where you want the suffix text (NB must come after the above code).
                Code:
                <actinic:block php="true">
                echo $suffixtext;
                </actinic:block>

Comment

Working...
                X