Adding a right hand column to Executive Theme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding a right hand column to Executive Theme

I'm trying to add a (floating?) right hand column in Executive theme (8.5.2)and hopefully lodge a banner in it. I've increased the relevant CSS values (Page body right column/Page Main Content/Page Header and so on) to 1000px, added a 40px margin seperating the left nav from the innerlayout (nothing too taxing!) thus creating the room for it - but I'm unsure of the next move. Has anyone achieved this with Executive that wants to share they're approach, or possibly a similar setup? I believe I need to create a float right style and an outer div - but am struggling with limited (but growing!) CSS experience.

I've searched and found Jonty's helpful response in regard to adding a right hand column to Contemporary theme(http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=36372) and an inconclusive thread about adding a right hand best sellers list etc. I'd be grateful for any pointers as I'm no doubt boxing above my weight on this one! Sean

I don't think you'd want to increase the body right column to 1000px - because this will become your main/middle column.
    Peblaco

Comment

Sean,

If you look in the Actinic Stylesheet for '.page_body' you should see it within the following
      /* page body fomatting elements -------------------------------------------------------- */
      .page_body {
      padding: 10px 0px 0px 0px;
      }

.page_body_content {
      width: 762px;
      text-align: left;
      }

.page_body_content_left_column {
      float: left;
      width: 170px;
      }

.page_body_content_right_column {
      float: right;
      width: 552px;
      }
      /* end page body fomatting elements ----------------------------------------------------- */
      Replace the above code with the following (a copy and paste should suffice)
      /* page body fomatting elements -------------------------------------------------------- */
      .page_body {
      padding: 10px 0px 0px 0px;
      }

.page_body_content {
      width: 1000px;
      text-align: left;
      }

.page_body_content_left_column {
      }

.page_body_content_middle_column {
      padding: 0px 0px 0px 20px;
      width: 552px;
      }

}
      /* end page body fomatting elements ----------------------------------------------------- */
      Now in the overall layout look for '<!-- end body content right column -->' ( you might want to change these tags both start and end to 'middle'. Right after this in a new line paste
      <!-- body content right column -->
      <div class="page_body_content_right_column">

</div>
      <!-- end body content right column -->
      That should do it for you. You will however have to tweak it to get the look and feel you desire.

Kind regards,
      Bruce King, Mole End Software Support
      Integrated label paper for Actinic A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels.
      One Stop Automation Automate Actinic. Mole End Automation works while you play.
      Mole End Product Mash for Actinic A suite of marketing feeds for your Actinic Store

Actinic Upgrade and Design Service

Comment

Nearly There I think

[QUOTE=peblaco;234598] I don't think you'd want to increase the body right column to 1000px - because this will become your main/middle column. QUOTE]

My mistake Peblaco, thanks for that. I shall probably try the container method if my current attempt doesn't resolve. Many thanks for that

Bruce:

That (virtually) did the trick, Firefox = great, IE = needs a fix. Anyway, thanks a lot. My next issue is now getting the content of the right column not to wrap hard left under the left and middle column now - as you can see here if using IE: http://www.verycheapwebsites.co.uk/ I understand this is probably a 'clear' issue - though I have tried adding clears to the css properties of the left and middle in the CSS with poor results - would I be right in thinking that a 'clear' should included within/or before my right hand columns coding?

Everything is fine in Firefox as you can see in this screenshot:
        http://www.verycheapwebsites.co.uk/firefox_view.html

I shall keep digging ti'l I understand what issue is - please feel free to correct me if i'm missing an obvious thing here.

Cheers Bruce.

Big thanks. Sean

Comment

Try this for the right hand column ...

padding: 0px 0px 0px 20px;
          }

Cheers,
          Mole End Product Mash for Actinic A suite of marketing feeds for your Actinic Store

Comment

That does place it to the upper right (but well outside the intended 3 column group span) in Firefox and bottom right in IE: http://www.verycheapwebsites.co.uk/float_right.html I did this on my first attempt - so I changed to float left to (hopefully) keep it top left to the middle column (as it currently does in FF), so possibly I need to work with a container as Peblaco said to get this to behave? - or maybe the answer does lie with a 'clear' placed somewhere? cheers Bruce

Comment

You could try:
              1. Putting a new wrapper around the left and middle columns floated left and fixed width
              2. Make sure the right column is immediately after the new left/middle wrapper, fixed width and within the "page_body_content container"

Note: Edit to point 2.
              Peblaco

Comment

Originally posted by peblaco View Post
                [*]Make sure the right column is immediately after the new left/middle wrapper, fixed width and within the "page_body_content container"[/LIST]

Note: Edit to point 2.
                this was what was lacking Peblaco - thank you .I moved my 'woot' up a div or two (not exactly sure which div paramaters came into play - my inexperience showing!) and all is fine in the preview window (IE). I need to do further browser testing but that was much apreciated. Thanks also Bruce - also v much apreciated.

For anyone interested I'll leave a screenshot showing where I've lodged some working right hand column code (just a 'woot'). Thats me sorted for a while.

http://www.verycheapwebsites.co.uk/sorted.html

Big thanks again. regards. Sean

Comment

FF3 Checked and looks swell ....

I should have tried it before suggesting but, did that on the fly.. Glad its working for you now.

Comment

Working...
                  X