Variables missing from library

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Variables missing from library

I am new to this and struggling. I can just about understand layouts and selectors, and I thought I knew what a variable was. Please could someone tell me why not all variables appear in the design library. e.g. I am working on a content page with a section list and I can't find how to edit the variable "SectionDescription". Thanks

Certain things needs to be protected from meddling hands, you should not need to touch this variable at all. What are you looking to do? style it? if so you need to be doing that in the CSS stylesheet.

Comment

Thanks. I was just trying to understand the structure. I'll just wait for the training course because I daren't ask anything else on here! I was being very careful not to meddle. That's why I asked the question.

Comment

Originally posted by ruthie2012 View Post
        I can't find how to edit the variable "SectionDescription". Thanks
        Maybe i misunderstood the above, it sounded like meddling to me.

Certain things are fundamental to the smooth and correct operation of a store, there is nothing at all that you need to do to the sectiondescription variable from within the library. I guess you could say certain variables are like the hidden system files on your PC, best left well alone and a scary place to venture.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
          I guess you could say certain variables are like the hidden system files on your PC, best left well alone and a scary place to venture.
          bit like the CostPrice variable, eh?

actually, I've been trying to get to a variable today and cursing that it isn't available through the library
          Tracey

Comment

If you click on Help and then Variable Reference Guide, it will tell you a bit about each variable.

Not all of the variables appear in the Library, SectionDescription being one example. Generally, the same is true of variables associated with main fields for products or sections.

The other place some variables may have their value changed is in Design | Text. These are the main phrases used throughout the store. You can also right click on one of these variables in the design view and choose Edit Text.

Again, if you go to Help | Help Topics, then choose to Index and type 'variable', lots of useful information will be given.

Comment

Originally posted by TraceyHand View Post
              bit like the CostPrice variable, eh?
              LOL no, that was just short sighted.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
                LOL no, that was just short sighted.
                yeh, I know
                Just wanted to slip it in there
                Tracey

Comment

Thanks bentleybloke. It's becoming clearer!

Comment

Working...
                  X