Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

location of home page

Hello,

I have, to date hosted my home page outside of Actinic, but would now like to bring it within Actinic.

I know how to create the home page, but the problem I have is that my site URL is www.guidepost.uk.com/shop/acatalog.... (the /shop/ part was added ages ago when I didn't know what I was doing, but I can't change it now, as I have affiliate links to my site), so the home page would be www.guidepost.uk.com/shop. Is there any was to get Actinic to upload this page to the required level of www.guidepost.uk.com?

Thanks in anticipation.
    www.guidepost.uk.com

You could use an htaccess redirect (assuming you are hosted on linux) to permanently redirect from guidepost.uk.com/index.html to guidepost.uk.com/shop/acatalog/index.html.

Otherwise you could change your setup to be without the shop directory and then use htaccess to permanently redirect all pages from guidepost.uk.com/shop/acatalog to guidepost.uk.com/acatalog.

Search for 301 permanent redirect and htaccess on how to do this.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for that. If I redirected, I assume it would affect my search engine rankings??

Is it possible to get Actinic to put the page where I want it, rather than redirecting?
      www.guidepost.uk.com

Comment

If your busy time is Xmas then I don't suggest you do anything until next year.

Permanent redirection is the safest way to do this for SEO. The links will be seen as permanently changed by SEs and the indexes updated accordingly over time. In the meantime any existing links will work as normal.

Many people believe there are SEO benefits by not having your shopping pages deep in your site structure.

Consider carefully before making any changes and do some SEO reading.

Per your original post - you cannot make Actinic upload the page to the site root, only the catalog root, as it is now.

Comment

Geraldine, you can do a 301 redirect via your hosting control panel (saves you getting your hands dirty with htaccess)

locate the icon - redirect URL - redirect (Permanant) from the old page to the new page.

there's a help file here

Comment

Hi,

Thanks very much for your replies.

I will redirect the home page to the new home page and leave the /shop/ as it is.

I need to design the new home page, so it may well be a week or two - and will redirect via my control panel - thanks Jo (not sure who Grealdine is though...)

Rosalyn
            www.guidepost.uk.com

Comment

I think Jan got you confused with someone else Rosalyn.....

Comment

I think Jan got you confused with someone else Rosalyn...
                Touche

sorry rosalyn

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
                  I think Jan got you confused with someone else Rosalyn.....
                  Stirring again Pete

Comment

Working...
                  X