resize section images on the fly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

resize section images on the fly

Abit of a lazy question, but i am using normans auto resizing script to auto size product images on a client site, but the client now wants to move to one product per section, hence we need the section images to be resized too.

is there an add on for this? to resize images on the fly (i don't want to use a batch program as the client add/edits/deletes products all the time)

Jo,

This is what I was looking for to include in our new site but couldn't find a suitable solution. In the end I did it the dirty way, and enclosed section images in a <div> which I set a standard height/width in the css. Seems to work great unless of course somebody opts to use a massive image for the sections and kills the section page load times.

If you do hear of a suitable solution I'd be more than eager to hear it!

Cheers,
    Grant

Comment

Pretty sure Norman guided someone on doing this very recently in the forum. The dirty way is to just define a width on the section image, nothing else needed.

Comment

Yep, you're right in a way Lee. But not quite

The way you suggest makes wide images very squashed and distorted and very narrow images appear stretched.

My way means the first XXpx on the X and Y axis are shown - not ideal for all images but the vast majority are okay. Will have a demo link up soon if anyone wants to have a quick look

Comment

Even better - see http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=34663 - where the code there will auto-create the Section image from the Product one. Resizing it on the way.
          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Muchas gracias Norm

Comment

Originally posted by grantglendinnin View Post
              Yep, you're right in a way Lee. But not quite

The way you suggest makes wide images very squashed and distorted and very narrow images appear stretched.
              If you only specify a width as i mentioned, the aspect ratio of the image is maintained as you are not specifying a height. Of course if you put in a width that is larger than any of your images, then you are both stupid and the site will look rubbish as it will have to stretch it.

Your way is utter rubbish Grant i'm afraid, you are far better showing a crap image than only part of an image and browsers like IE6 will really shaft your solution anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
                If you only specify a width as i mentioned, the aspect ratio of the image is maintained as you are not specifying a height. Of course if you put in a width that is larger than any of your images, then you are both stupid and the site will look rubbish as it will have to stretch it.
                Firefox 3 and IE8 knacker this up for me, anyway.
                Originally posted by leehack View Post
                Your way is utter rubbish Grant i'm afraid, you are far better showing a crap image than only part of an image and browsers like IE6 will really shaft your solution anyway.
                IE6 looks just as IE7 does, no issues with is whatsoever. Anyways, as Norman's post stated...there's no longer any need for doing the dirty.

All good in the hood

Comment

I am using the re-size image in the search results page which is working with the majority of products. However, I do have some high, but thin images which are now being made wider than they should be which is also increasing the height to scale and basically looking terrible.

Is there any way to re-size the image if larger than specified size but leave alone if smaller?

Many thanks

Jason
                  Regards

Jason

Titan Jewellery (Swift Design)
                  Zirconium Rings
                  Damascus Steel Rings

Comment

why isn't norms work included in the main trunk of actinic yet?

tssk actinic! his code is awesome!

Comment

Working...
                    X