Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripping out functions - simple website

Hey,

I am new to Actinic and currently using the trial to see if i am able to achieve what i am after before commiting myself to the software. I have used in the past but was pointed in the direction of Actinic becuase of its ease of use.

I see from the templates on offer that the general 'theme' is pretty much always the same. i.e you have a INNER layout with a navigation section on the left or right and a Logo at the top followed by some sort of site navigation.

I agree, most standard sites are designed in this way and would make use of the functions. However, i am after a much more stripped out site. I will attach some links and screen shots further down the post but let me start with where i am at the moment.

I have created a template in photoshop and sliced this up appropriately with a top section (Header) and i have split the centre section into 3 columes. In the centre colume i have inserted the 'actinic content' INNER LAYOUT and this does display content when i put the site into actinic.

However, I dont want to have a side menu or a navigation menu. Ultimately i want the site to look like http://www.michaelfrith.com/home.html is there a simply way of achieving this?

I really want a plane stripped out site but like the site below.

Is this a lot of work and just out of curioisty if this isnt simple what sort of cost could i expect to pay to someone willing to take on the design for me?

Any help would be greatly appriciated. As yet i still need to configure the contents of the store to match the layout. But the top buttons i was planning on using them as Links to the relevant pages (i have sliced the buttons up so they are individual files)

By ciaranl at 2008-12-18

By ciaranl at 2008-12-18

You can have as many or few columns, headers etc as you want. You need to have the INNERLAYOUT as this is where Actinic runs the cart / products etc but the side bars and headers can be deleted with impunity.

Looking at the example / existing site you are using a header (with your logo) 2 side columns (with the thumbnails) and a centre column (where the main image is showing). The easiest option (if you do not have Dreamweaver) is to take a default theme that offers the closest layout wise (the clean CSS themes are the best and most simple) and apply that. v9 also comes with a design wizard to set the parameters.

When the theme has been applied switch to the design tab and navigate to the outer layout (this contains the <head><html> tags at the very top of the page) .. this is the overall structure of the page. You can now strip out the layouts for the navigation etc that you do not need. In the outer layout basically leave everything between <head> .. </head> and leave the INNERLAYOUT ... everything else can go (the pink layouts)... you can add the cart links etc back in manually as necessary. Nail the outer layout to resemble the existing and then add the cart navigation after.

HTH

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

As jont says building the site you give as an example will be strightforward but always beware of breaking with convention as you may like a simple design but the site is for customers who may become confused

Comment

Just a quick point though - you are aware that Actinic does not monitor stock in real time? I think you could conceivably easily sell a hi value original painting twice (or more)?
        The Pretty Dress Company

Comment

Working...
        X