Urrrrrgh - Actinic Layouts make my teeth hurt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urrrrrgh - Actinic Layouts make my teeth hurt

I'm using the "Executive" layout. How do I add new buttons to the horizontal nav bar (the one with "Home Site Map Search Checkout Store Top" in by default).

I can see there are some items in pink in the "Works best with Executive" layout file. They're of the form Home CSS Button etc.. Are these layouts or variables and how do I add a new one and where do I put the href="" html to tell it where to link too??

Are "pink" items layouts and "blue" variables?? Apologies for what must be really basic questions but I don't find this to be easy to follow at all. I can't believe it's difficult once you get going, it's the getting going that I'm having trouble with!

Originally posted by redbiker View Post
    Are "pink" items layouts and "blue" variables??
    That's a good way of looking at it yes. If you select the design tab and then select an existing link, you can either have a go at replicating that method or just hard code your own hyperlink. If you don't know how to do a hyperlink, then any html tutorial on the web will show you that. With regards to what you link to, that is simply the pagename of the destination page. Create the page first noting it's name and then create your hyperlink to that page. There may be some styling involved too, but one step at a time, get a functioning link first. Practice in a fragment even away from the workings of the site. Always snapshot before you have a play.

Comment

Originally posted by redbiker View Post
      Are "pink" items layouts and "blue" variables?
      That's correct.

It sounds like you are trying to do things beyond your ability. Forgive my frankness, but if you're unsure what's a layout and what's a variable then perhaps you should not be trying to change them.

Use the in built help, download the user guide and have a good read.

Snapshot regularly if you make any changes, because one wrong move and your site go pear shaped.

Army Gore-tex
      Winter Climbing Mitts
      webD's Blog: Website design, SEO and other ramblings…
      Twitter LinkedIN

If you think a post is good, rate it!

Find the answers in the Knowledge Base | Have you read the User Guides

Comment

Have you looked through the Starter Guide under the help menu?
        This will give you the information you need
        "If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions"

Comment

Originally posted by webD View Post
          That's correct.

It sounds like you are trying to do things beyond your ability. Forgive my frankness, but if you're unsure what's a layout and what's a variable then perhaps you should not be trying to change them.

True, but I should probably be learning HOW to change them.

Lee:- Yes the html stuff is no problem. I appear to have to create a new variable say called Mylink CSS Button (or similar) and then edit that layout to have <a href="http://www.mysite.co.uk/mypage.html">A link to my page"</a>

When I right click in the Best with Executive layout I get the option to add a variable from the library, but no option to add a new one of my own.

I'll go and have a chew through the user guide and see if I can make any sense of it. As with all things a simple worked example would be a good way to learn, but there don't seem to be many of these about.

Comment

I never find this part of actinic particularly intuitive, which is why i always create my own navbars, it's just easier. You don't have to create a variable for this and you can't insert a new one if you haven't created it in the first place.

Comment

The Starter Guide (Start / All Programs / Actinic v9) contains tutorials on modifying layouts, etc - some are walkthrough examples.
              Norman - www.drillpine.biz
              Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Great thanks. I'll take a look.

Comment

Working...
                X