Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to change Main Images when selecting from drop-down attributes

Hi all!
    Does anyone know how to change product main images by the user selecting an attribute (drop down menu or radio button etc).

My reason for asking is because we are selling lights. Say the default image for Polished Gold, there are options for Silver and Chrome. So if Silver or Chrome is selected from the drop-down menu, the main image changes to the corresponding coloured one. And then if the customer go to checkout, he/she will see the Silver or Chrome in the shopping basket. I guess it's possible, but how would I go about doing it?

Any thoughts? Any help you guys could give would be greatly appreciated!

www.drillpine.biz is where you want to be, you need a plugin.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
      www.drillpine.biz is where you want to be, you need a plugin.
      Thank you so much for your information. I just viewed the website. Yes, there is one addon---Dynamic Choice Images which is similar to what we want, but my boss prefers drop down menu.

Comment

Originally posted by Selina View Post
        Hi all!
        Does anyone know how to change product main images by the user selecting an attribute (drop down menu or radio button etc).

My reason for asking is because we are selling lights. Say the default image for Polished Gold, there are options for Silver and Chrome. So if Silver or Chrome is selected from the drop-down menu, the main image changes to the corresponding coloured one. And then if the customer go to checkout, he/she will see the Silver or Chrome in the shopping basket. I guess it's possible, but how would I go about doing it?

Any thoughts? Any help you guys could give would be greatly appreciated!
        the plug in you need is Dynamic Choice images from drillpine, you can use the attributes to select options and associate a picture with each selection. This picture can replace the main image or you can have a second image on the page that changes, great for displaying options to a product.

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
        SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
        Custom Packages

Comment

Originally posted by malbro View Post
          the plug in you need is Dynamic Choice images from drillpine, you can use the attributes to select options and associate a picture with each selection. This picture can replace the main image or you can have a second image on the page that changes, great for displaying options to a product.
          Thank you for your information. I had a look at the addon which is similar to what we want. But My boss prefers drop down menu. Is there any other ideas?

Comment

it works for the drop down menu too
            Tracey

Comment

The dynamic choice images can be seen working on my V7 site on this page:
              Wooden Golf Tees, although I believe there may be an issue with it not being suitable for V9 sites, might be worth contacting Norman direct to check.

I am not sure that the dynamic image would also be shown in the checkout, again worth checking with Norman.
              Darren Guppy
              Golf Tee Warehouse
              Golf Tees and Golf Accessories.

Comment

It works fine with V8 and V9 sites as far as I know.

I would expect it would use the main product image for the cart/checkout, however.
                Tracey

Comment

A reply I had from Norman in December stated:
                  There is problem in V9 that stops my Dynamic Choice Images patch from being usable so I'm not supplying it at the moment. See http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=37161 and particularly my post #17 for the gory details.
                  Darren Guppy
                  Golf Tee Warehouse

Comment

ah ok. I do recall that
                    It hasn't rendered a site I've used it on unusable though.
                    I guess you take your chance!
                    Tracey

Comment

I think on the other thread a workaround is mentioned, until Actinic fix the bug that causes the patch a problem but I guess Norman has decided to play it safe by withdrawing from sale temporarily.
                      Darren Guppy
                      Golf Tee Warehouse

Comment

Originally posted by Golf Tee Warehouse View Post
                        I think on the other thread a workaround is mentioned, until Actinic fix the bug that causes the patch a problem but I guess Norman has decided to play it safe by withdrawing from sale temporarily.
                        Obviously makes sense. I don't have it on a live site anyway. It's on a site that I 'test' upgraded from V8 which may account for its different behaviour.
                        I'm sure Norman can do without the extra support it would require from him for a bug that is out of his control!
                        Tracey

Comment

Originally posted by Golf Tee Warehouse View Post
                          There is a problem with V8 and V9 when you add a new choice and try to add an image, however if you first add the choices, then close Actinic and finally restart it everything is OK. The alternative that I use is to copy and paste choices in which case there is no problem, I have been using for the yarn shop on a large number of products without problems once I worked out how to get around the problem.

I was told Actinic would sort it but not when, and as far as I can tell the fix is not in 9.04.

Norman has said he would stop selling it but I would think he could be persuaded.

Malcolm

Custom Packages

Comment

Thank you for your information. I had a look at the addon which is similar to what we want. But My boss prefers drop down menu. Is there any other ideas?
                            using the choices option is a drop down menu, have a look at the yarn shop in my signature to see the plugin in action, it is used on most product pages. You setup a list of choices which Actinic generates as a drop down list and each item in the list can have an associated image, on the yarn shop it is used to show the different colours of the yarns.

Malcolm

Custom Packages

Comment

Is there any other ideas?
                              If Normans plug in is not to your requirements then I guess you need to look at using javascript. I have found a large number of useful graphics scripts available on the web that work with the jquery library and are easy to integrate into actinic.

Malcolm

Custom Packages

Comment

Working...
                              X