X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pop-up window on homepage

Hi all,

New Actinic user!

We've setup our site, and would like to do a promotion on items.
    I would like to create a pop-up page on the homepage, to let visitors know of this.

Is it possible from within Actinic, or wil it require some extra coding?

Can anyone help?
    Thanks,

Johnathan

I have to say, that's not a good idea.

popups put people off.

good luck

Comment

Pop up blockers are built into most retail computer security software e.g. Kaspersky, Norton. In fact, doesn't Vista also have one built in?

Personally I rate pop ups in my top five internet annoyances. Buy hey, why not try it and see what happens?
      Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

Hi,

I'm aware of the problems associated with pop-ups.

I would also add a pop-up if I knew how.

Hence my original question. So can anyone help me out on this one?

Otherwise, this is our front page: http://www.vertigarden.com

Can anyone suggest a nice, neat way of showcasing a special offer to our visitors?

Thank you,

Comment

IE8, IE7, and Firefox have built in pop-up blockers, along with nearly all Anti-virus software. This would probably be more annoying than informative for your visitors, especially on a homepage.
          Steve Griggs.

"People in business often miss opportunities, mainly because they usually arrive dressed in overalls and looking like work."

www.kitchenwareonline.com
          www.microwave-repair.co.uk

Comment

I am aware of the problems associated with pop-ups.

I would still be interested in how to do this though, even for future reference, and to showcase special offers on our site.

If anyone has a suggestion for how I can showcase a special offer on our site's homepage, I'd be more than happy to hear suggestions.

http://www.vertigarden.com

Thank you,

Comment

try a lightbox.

these are essentially javascript popups, that cannot be blocked by conventional means.

they also usually have some sort of feature to darken the page behind, so as to attract the attention of visitors.

you may need some help installing and configuring one, since we're getting into te realms of html and javascript here.

Comment

Okey doke. Yup, I think you're right with the needing help part!

Any recommendations on who might be able to help with such a task?

Thanks!

Comment

try this:

www.actlance.co.uk

Comment

also, doesnt norm have a plugin for this?

www.drillpine.biz

Comment

Hi,
                      I have used an animated .gif in a sidebox that links to an offer page, it gets attention. You can have it open a new window also.

http://www.sto-it.co.uk

Regards
                      Jim
                      Sto-It Apartment Storage Solution www.sto-it.co.uk

Comment

Long live the animated gif I say, the web wouldn't be the same without jerky animations that make you feel like you have a tic.

Comment

excellent, i see you have taken a leaf from lings book:

http://www.lingscars.com/

*taps feet and waits patiently for the animated gif pixie to arrive*

Comment

Hi Lads,
                            I take it you don’t like animated .giff’s.
                            I did not think I over done it… but always open to constructive criticism. And any worthwhile suggestions you may have about how to improve the site.
                            Regards

Jim

Comment

Hi again,

I listened and looked at the gifs again. I have changed one of them to a flash fade in.

Lee I had a look at your home page and source code to understand how you done the fade show of your recent sites. I see it is a javascript fadeshow. Did you put the javascript in you css? If so is this better than using src="fadeshow.js"?

Regards

Jim

Ps. The page that the “introductory offer gif” links to is the second most visited page on the site, so it is working, I just need to learn how to improve its appearance.

Comment

Working...
                              X