Extended Information for Associated Product

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extended Information for Associated Product

I am trying to display extended information for the "Associated Products" referenced to the "Choices" in the table of "Permutations". Has anyone done this or something similar?
    I am using v9.0.4.
    Stuart Robinson

Robinson Polytunnels

Hi Stuart,

An Extended info page is only applicable to the product on show, i.e. you can create extended information and images for the product on show, but not products which are referenced in components and choices (even if properly associated back to real products) - but you can create extended info pages for products to show when someone looks at those products.

Maybe if you explain what you are hoping to achieve in providing more information to your customers about the choices, then someone might have come across the same thing and have ideas for you.

Comment

See the Advanced Guide for "Variable Qualifiers". Here's a summary:-

You can enter almost any product variable into a permutation layout with the variable qualifier of 'AssociatedProduct' and the details of the associated product will be shown in the permutation layout. For example:
      <actinic:variable name="AssociatedProduct::ProductName" />
      ... will insert the name of the associated product into the permutation layout.
      The Extended Info variables may be available. Try it and see.

Report back to assist future visitors.
      Norman - www.drillpine.biz
      Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thanks Tech Support / Norman.

I am nearly there I think.
        I've created a layout (below) and I get get the "More Info" button to display in more-or-less the right place.

<input type="button"
        name="INFO_<actinic:variable name="AssociatedProduct::ProductID" />"
        value="<actinic:variable name="ExtInfoButtonLabel"/>"
        onclick="javascript:ShowPopUp('<actinic:variable name="AssociatedProduct::ExtendedInfoPageEncoded" />','<actinic:variable name="ExtInfoWindowWidth"/>','<actinic:variable name="ExtInfoWindowHeight"/>');"
        />

I then go to Preview Store and when I click on the "More Info" button I get an error message, shown on the attachment. The error message looks like it's not finding the popup page (or maybe it's not being created).

Any further suggestions?
        Attached Files
        Stuart Robinson

Robinson Polytunnels

Comment

I see what you are trying to achieve now - cool.

OK - think it cant show it because you are viewing locally and the preview page is either not generated, because you have not generated that extended info page (i.e. for the associated product) or is it missing a P_ in local preview mode (i dont recall exactly for info pages - yeh they must do) LOL...

Comment

Thanks Tech Support.

The Associated Product has "Generate Popup Page" checked.

The "Popup Page - Page Name" is shown as "info_KIT_8S10SS.html" which I think is what it is trying to find when I click on the "More Info" button.

I'm guessing then that the popup page is not being generated. (I tried it "live" and the popup page couldn't be found.)

Any suggestions on why the page isn't being generated?
            Stuart Robinson

Robinson Polytunnels

Comment

Your code in #4 works fine for me.

However it won't work if the Associated Product has "Hide on Web Site" checked on the General tab. I'll bet that's your problem.

Single page preview won't work unless the associated product is on the same page. You'll have to do a full site preview if they're on a different pages.

Comment

You may also want to consider putting a Condition around your code so that it's only generated if an associated product is used:-
                Code:
                <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PermutationAssociatedNameIsUsed%22%20%2f%3e" >
                	<input type="button" 
                		name="INFO_<actinic:variable name="AssociatedProduct::ProductID" />" 
                		value="<actinic:variable name="ExtInfoButtonLabel"/>"
                		onclick="javascript:ShowPopUp('<actinic:variable name="AssociatedProduct::ExtendedInfoPageEncoded" />','<actinic:variable name="ExtInfoWindowWidth"/>','<actinic:variable name="ExtInfoWindowHeight"/>');"
                	/>
                </actinic:block>

Comment

Thanks Norman,

That's exactly right, the Associated Product has "Hide on Web Site" checked. I can work around that now.

Thanks for the code to apply a condition - I'll put that in.
                  Stuart Robinson

Robinson Polytunnels

Comment

Working...
                  X