Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightbox ???

Hi Everyone,

I want to have custom messages shown as someone lands on the website home page. I have seen some sites that show a black semi-transparent background, with a borderless dialogue box in the centre of the screen, with a custom message and close (X).

I want to use this for messages, such as how we are dealing with the postal strike, or special offers. However, I would only wish to have the message appear once per session, so I assume it would have to involve the use of a cookie?

Is this called a 'lightbox' or something else?

I would be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction please.
    Steve Jordan
    -----------------------------
    Error 404 - Page not found

Sellerdeck V11.03 - Business - Actinic Payments -
    Sage Accounts 50 V16 2012 Sellerdeck Link

Acacia Masonic Regalia Masonic Regalia Masonic Forum

whilst i can't answer the q re lightbox/cookies etc i would take a look at your site stats to determine the entry pages for your site, i'd wager only a minority enter via the index page, thus you should consider doing this when someone enters your site regardless of the entry page for it to be effective

Comment

Best to add a note / banner / image to the page proper - pop-ups and auto loading windows can be blocked automatically so not all will get the message.

Bikster
      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

A simple way Steve may be, as you indicated, set a cookie value per session.

Using javascript you could determine the cookie value (i.e. if they have visited the site this session) and show/hide a banner image in a prominent place.

There's a load of tutorials about that cover this kind of thing. Actinic even has cookie javascript code in the actiniccore.js that you could use:
        function setCookie(sName, sValue, sExpire)
        and
        function getCookie(sName)
        Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
        Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
        SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

You're right with LightBox:

http://www.huddletogether.com/projects/lightbox2/

I don't know whether it can be adapted to do what you want, but I would have thought so.

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

Working...
          X