Stop Actinic compacting some of the html

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stop Actinic compacting some of the html

As it say in the title. I have some html that i don't want to be compacted, due to IE6 CSS.

If I don't compact the whole site, each page is almost double in size.

Is there some sort of code or something i could do to stop it compacting some of the code.

The problem is that i have a drop down menu that needs IE 6 hacks. As actinic compacts all the coding, I lose my hacks.

Do any know is there a way round what i want to do.

PS.
    What is the max page size people would build.
    Elliott - Weybridge Lights

www.weybridgelights.co.uk

It tends to be an all or nothing in this area Elliott, although if you uncompact and then spend a good hour or so cleaning up white space in layouts, it can help. I'd have to strongly recommend looking at your coding and css though, in almost 5 years, i've never had to serve up a different stylesheet for IE6. It's certainly a browser that needs some individual attention, however with the * html hack, you can always talk specifically to IE6 within your normal stylesheet. That's all i've ever done.

Comment

There are many prior posts on this. Here's one http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=28025 that has some useful links.
      Norman - www.drillpine.biz
      Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Originally posted by NormanRouxel View Post
        There are many prior posts on this. Here's one http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=28025 that has some useful links.
        Already looked at this and it would be to much work to do and might not work what i am after.

Just thought it might of changed as that posted was in 2006/2007

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
          I'd have to strongly recommend looking at your coding and css though, in almost 5 years, i've never had to serve up a different stylesheet for IE6. It's certainly a browser that needs some individual attention, however with the * html hack, you can always talk specifically to IE6 within your normal stylesheet. That's all i've ever done.
          This is part of the code i have for a menu.
          Code:
          <div class="menu"> 

<ul> 
          <li class="w100"><a href="">Interior Lighting<!--[if IE 7]><!--></a><!--<![endif]--> 
          <!--[if lte IE 6]><table><tr><td><![endif]--> 
          	<ul> 
          		<li><a class="drop" href="Ceiling_Lights.html" title="Ceiling Lights">Ceiling Lights<!--[if IE 7]><!--></a><!--<![endif]--> 
          		<ul> 
          			<li><a href="flush_ceiling_lights.html" title="Flush Ceiling Lights">Flush Ceiling Lights</a></li> 
                      <li><a href="simi_flush_lights.html" title="Semi Flush Lights">Semi-Flush Ceiling Lights</a></li> 
          			<li><a href="flush_ceiling_lights.html" title="Flush Ceiling Lights">removing active/focus borders</a></li> 
                      <li><a href="pendents_lights.html" title="Pendant Lights">Pendants Lights</a></li> 
          			<li><a href="Single_Pendents.html" title="Single Pendants">Single Pendants Lights</a></li> 
          			<li><a href="Traditional_Pendants.html" title="Traditional Pendants">hover/click</a></li> 
          		</ul> 

<!--[if lte IE 6]></td></tr></table></a><![endif]--> 
          	</li> 
              	<li><a class="drop" href="../menu/hover_click.html">hover/click with no borders<!--[if IE 7]><!--></a><!--<![endif]--> 
          		<ul> 
          			<li><a href="../menu/form.html">styled form</a></li> 
          			<li><a href="../menu/nodots.html">removing active/focus borders</a></li> 
          			<li><a href="../menu/hover_click.html">hover/click</a></li> 
          		</ul> 

</li> 
              	<li><a class="drop" href="../menu/hover_click.html">hover/click with no borders<!--[if IE 7]><!--></a><!--<![endif]--> 
          		<ul> 
          		</ul> 

</li> 
          		<ul> 
          		</ul> 

</li> 
          		<ul> 
          		</ul> 

</li> 
          		<ul> 
          		</ul> 

</li> 
          		<ul> 
          		</ul> 

</li> 
          		<ul> 
          		</ul> 

</li> 

<ul> 
          		</ul> 

</li>

I think I might be better finding a different menu.

What are your thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by JGLIGHTING View Post
            I think I might be better finding a different menu.

What are your thoughts
            The same as yours, that's quite a mess..

Comment

I'd certainly look for another menu - I don't think that would be worth the hassle.

Comment

I've added a wish list request for this internally, it might be worth adding your request to the wish list topic on this board so that others can vote for it as well or sending in a wish list request to Actinic from here :

http://www.actinic.co.uk/support/wishlist.htm

Regards,
                Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
                Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
                A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
                Product Mash for Sellerdeck
                Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
                Multichannel order processing
                Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Thanks for your input.

I have added this to the never ending wish list.

I am now of hunting for a new menu.

If any one knows of a horizontal dropdown bar menu with out any IE hacks.

I have looked at norlist but i need it hard coded as i want different menu lay out from the main layout

Comment

On the handful of occasions i have done this, i've had to approach it in stages to make it easier. I also had some great advice off Norman the first time i did it. First of all get actinic to create your <ul> and to nest the sub lists correctly and automatically. It's fundamental to the success of installing this. Once you have the correct html, you're half way there but more importantly, have no needs for hacking around and can just use plain old html, javascript and css then. I used the twin helix menu from angus turnbull.

Why do you need to hand code the menu, you can create your menus using standard actinic functions (even on huge sites) and then use variables to limit certain entries. Why don't you show us the current menu so we have an idea on what you're trying to do?

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
                      Why do you need to hand code the menu, you can create your menus using standard actinic functions (even on huge sites) and then use variables to limit certain entries. Why don't you show us the current menu so we have an idea on what you're trying to do?
                      What I am trying to do is have a different horizontal menu then I have set the actinic menu

On this horizontal menu i plan to have main sections like indoor light, outdoor, bathroom lights ect with dropdowns. IE. indoor lights>ceiling lights, wall lights ect.

I was trying not to use javascript. (don't know why)

So i might look for a menu that use javascript and css so it don't have the IE hacks

This is the link to my test site. www dot kwik-tyres dot co dot uk

The menu that i have the problem with is the dark gray bar that starts with Interior Lighting

Comment

Working...
                      X