Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multi-themed site

Hi,
    I have inherited two e-commerce sites that now need to be joined into one site with two themes, one for each of the old sites. Is there a way to do this? The two site are selling the same products just aimed at different markets. Has this come up before, as I can't seem to find it, if so could you direct me to the posts or other info.

Thanks

This can be done by creating two page layouts, one for each theme. Once they are created you can apply the desired theme to which ever page you want.

Army Gore-tex
    Winter Climbing Mitts
    webD's Blog: Website design, SEO and other ramblings…
    Twitter LinkedIN

If you think a post is good, rate it!

Find the answers in the Knowledge Base | Have you read the User Guides

Comment

I would have thought it much better to continue with two seperate sites for SEO reasons, so that you can really aim at each market rather than a shotgun route
      Chris Ashdown

Comment

Originally posted by chris ashdown View Post
        I would have thought it much better to continue with two seperate sites for SEO reasons, so that you can really aim at each market rather than a shotgun route
        If they're selling the same products then they may be duplicating page content which will actually be counting against them in SEO terms.

Also, this way will mean once the layouts are designed there's only one site to maintain.

Army Gore-tex
        Winter Climbing Mitts
        webD's Blog: Website design, SEO and other ramblings…
        Twitter LinkedIN

If you think a post is good, rate it!

Find the answers in the Knowledge Base | Have you read the User Guides

Comment

The problem could be when you go into the cart you use a single theme - so if you have a pink and yellow theme in the catalogue pages you will only have the one in the cart.

This could be very confusing and also stopping people moving from one theme to another is going to be very difficult.

Bikster
          SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Originally posted by webD View Post
            If they're selling the same products then they may be duplicating page content which will actually be counting against them in SEO terms.
            They are using the same products just presented in a different way on the same site... this has to be iffy for SEO don't you think??

Bikster
            SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Thank for all the above guys. I am still trying to fuddle my way through this but I will say that the cart's look is disconcerting me. Where does the cart take it's theme from? Is it from the overall site theme or is it specific to the cart page? Could one in that case have the two themes for the catalogue pages and one unified theme for the cart? I know it is getting to be a very complex solution but two site are not going to happen.

Comment

Working...
              X